Author Topic: Twunk_16.exe Causes "Unsupported 16-Bit Application" Error on Startup  (Read 16425 times)

Offline b_sleeth

• View Profile
Just upgraded from 0.9.9.14 to 0.9.9.16 on Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.  When starting the application, I get the splash screen, then an error window titled "Unsupported 16-Bit Application" with the following text:

The program or feature "\??\C:\Windows\Twunk_16.exe" cannot start or run due
to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software
vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

The only button is "OK".  Once I click OK, the error window closes and the application continues to start.  PVD seems to be running fine once started.

BTW: The error message does misspell incompatibility as "incompatibity".

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Twunk_16.exe Causes "Unsupported 16-Bit Application" Error on Startup
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:04:21 am »
Welcome, b.

Twunk_16.exe is a component of TWAIN, the interface between applications and your scanner. PVD includes controls for adding scanned images, so I suppose the program is asking Windows for a TWAIN device on startup. I'm not sure why you would have or need Twunk_16.exe on your system, unless it's to support an old 16-bit program running in compatibility mode. I would try disabling it (by renaming), and see if that resolves the matter without other consequences.

In case it's relevant... I don't use the scanner feature, although I do have a TWAIN scanner on my Window 7 64-bit system. When I try an Acquire from scanner control, I get a "No TWAIN device found" error message.

Offline b_sleeth

• View Profile
Rick,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I also do not use a scanner (at least not on this system).  I have no idea how/why this version of the twain driver was installed, and therefore, do not know what driver I need to update.

In the meantime, following your suggestion, I renamed the file.  PVD now starts without an error message and I did not see any errors logged in the Event Viewer.  I will keep an eye out for any errors that might pop-up related to this (I doubt there will be any).

FYI: Renaming the file proved difficult.  I ended up finding a solution at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Microsoft/Hardware/Q_24082861.html  Guymar had a hard time as well and eventually found a solution somewhere else.  His solution was:

Solution Part 1:
Update drivers: go to relevant download section of your vendor, get them. Then go to device manager and delete current drivers (ticking the box removing them). Install/unpack vendor drivers and reboot.

Solution part 2:
Manual rename (or delete) both TWAIN.DLL and TWUNK_16.EXE

• Log on with an admiistrator user account (*)
  • Go to start menu, accessories, right-klick on command prompt and "run as administrator"
  • Type: takeown /f c:\windows\twain.dll
  • Type: icacls c:\windows\twain.dll /grant %USERNAME%:f
  • Type: takeown /f c:\windows\twunk_16.exe
  • Type: icacls c:\windows\twunk_16.exe /grant %USERNAME%:f
  • Type: ren twain.dll twain.dll.bak
  • Type: ren twunk_16.exe twunk_16.exe.bak

*Note: If your username contains a space it will not work!! "John Doe" will have to create a user John or use the administrator user (if activated).

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Twunk_16.exe Causes "Unsupported 16-Bit Application" Error on Startup
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:17:33 pm »
...do not know what driver I need to update.

I suppose it might be installed by the software/driver for any printer, scanner, camera, etc.

Renaming the file proved difficult.

It's a system protected file, so the permissions need to be changed. See "What is the exact role of the 16-bit TWUNK_16.EXE for 32-bit Windows TWAIN scanning? Is it possible to disable it?" near the end of this TWAIN.org FAQ.

anything