Author Topic: Sorting or grouping by 'File Path'  (Read 7874 times)

Offline leogets

• User
    • View Profile
Sorting or grouping by 'File Path'
« on: February 15, 2010, 05:48:34 pm »
Hello,

This is a very good program, but I can't seen to find how to sort by or group by 'File Path'.
If someone knows of a way I can add this feature by myself it would be very helpful or could
you please add this as a request for the future.

I would like to be able to sort by or group by the file path, so I would have an explorer type
view of the way the files are located on my hard drive(s).   I place about 30 Gb of movies into
each directory that contains other directories based on the way I rated the movie myself;
such as Good, Fair, and, Time_Waster. Being able to play them based on their location is very
essential to me. This way I know if I have watched it or not. If I didn't watch the movie as yet,
it would still be located in the primary directory. An explorer type view, of folders under a drive
letter in the left hand column would be very helpful.

I tried this; Advanced Search.. Set to 'File Path' and *.* for the criteria, but nothing is found.
So how to search or do anything period by 'File Path'?
The *.* should do what I'm asking below. but does appsolutly nothing.
All I'm trying to do is get the movies to appear in the left hand column in the different folders of
which I placed them in on my hard drive(s) as if I were going through them like I was using the
Windows Explorer.  The only difference is that the left hand column would contain all the folders,
when a folder was opened all the movie names within that directory would be shown still in the left
hand column under the folder.  Once a movie name is selected then all the database imdb info. for
the movie selected would appear in the right pane.  But I can't seem to find a way do this.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:41:55 pm by rick.ca »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
The File Path field usually contains long paths, often with multiple files separated by "|". It will not be useful to use such data for sorting or grouping (it would still have little sense if each file was separated). It is possible for me to write such a routine to create an explorer like view, but it would take some time to implement this feature and I am not sure if I will get to it and when.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline leogets

• User
    • View Profile
Thank you Nostra for your feedback and I hope you can implement this Explorer type view.
It should only be capable of working if people like I only have 1 movie under each database listing.

Well you see, I think that's where the problem exists period.  It's with multiple file names under one database. Movies that posses similiar yet slight different file names are seperated by the '|' under 1 database.

It should be left up to the user to get rid of these types of listings in their database.
In the end, what is the sense in having these strange file names.
You CAN NOT hit the 'PLAY' key and have the movie 'PLAY', it errors out, and the movies will not play.

If there are two movies seperated by this '|', say the first on this list was ripped 'by lOVE' and the second one on the list was ripped 'by VoMiT'.  Then the user should create a new movie data base listing for the other movie, and edit the existing database's title to reflect the first movie in the list and delete the second listing after a new database has been established for it. So in the end there is simply one filename for each database.  If the first was lOVE, they should edit the database to reflect 'by lOVE' in the tiltle name. For the new database title name should reflect 'by VoMiT'.

If all the listings in the database that have this '|' in the 'File Path' are removed from the database, then this will or should work.

The only thing as far as I can see that is stopping the listing to be presented or grouped by 'File Path' is this '|' in the 'File Path'.
So, I've already removed ALL such listings.  Yet I still cannot have them Sorted or Grouped according to 'File Path'.
So, how can I do this?
Why will the Advanced Sort option not work uising 'File Path' and *.* as the file criteria even though there is not one single entry in my database with this '|'?

Thank you again Nostra.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:39:11 pm by leogets »

buah

I would create custom Media Labels (or Media Locations) "Good", "Fair" and "Time_Wasters". Then, I'd assign via Multiple Movies Editor adequate label after scanning each directory, then Group movies by those.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Well you see, I think that's where the problem exists period.  It's with multiple file names under one database. Movies that posses similiar yet slight different file names are seperated by the '|' under 1 database.

This is not a "problem," it's by design. Most users have legitimate reasons for having multiple files associated with one record and therefore require this behaviour. If two files represent two different versions of the same movie, then you have a choice—leave them both referenced to the same record, or create separate records for them.

You CAN NOT hit the 'PLAY' key and have the movie 'PLAY', it errors out, and the movies will not play.

What do you play videos with? This should work fine. The files are passed to the player as a playlist. This obviously works well for multi-part movies (i.e., CD1, CD2, etc.). It can also be used for multiple versions—send all versions to the player, then use the player to select which version to play.

Yet I still cannot have them Sorted or Grouped according to 'File Path'.

The purpose of this program, in part, is to be a video manager. It performs that function very well, without the need for all the same functions being duplicated in the file system. I appreciate you have already developed a system for managing your videos within the file system. But to expect to have your system imposed on the program is not reasonable. Nor is it in your own best interests. You practice of moving files around is inefficient, error-prone and could cause significant problems for maintaining your PVD database. It's important to use a sensible and consistent filing system, but once a video is "filed," leave it alone and let PVD manage things.

Why will the Advanced Sort option not work uising 'File Path' and *.* as the file criteria...

There is no ability to sort by path because this would not be useful or necessary for most users. You can, however, use simple or advanced search with File path. This should provide you with a convenient means to restrict the list to in a particular directory of your file system. From there, your file names probably start with Title, so the result is exactly the same.

Reading your first post, it seems you're not using Advanced Search properly. Click on the operator between the two boxes to select it. But a simple search is probably all you need. Just setting it to File path and entering "Good" will display all the movies in your "Good" directory. And anything with "Good" in the title, but this isn't the preferred solution anyway...

I place about 30 Gb of movies into each directory that contains other directories based on the way I rated the movie myself;
such as Good, Fair, and, Time_Waster.

I suggest you move this function from the file system into the database. You could use Rating for this, mapping Good, Fair, and Time_Waster to 8, 6 and 4 stars (which could then be fine-tuned in the future). If you want to maintain your classification system, you could do so with a custom select-list or, as buah suggests, using an existing field for the same purpose. This has the distinct advantage of being able to set the values initially with the MME. Setting initial values to Rating and/or a custom field would require an import (a bit of work, but not bad for a one-time conversion).

Offline leogets

• User
    • View Profile
Re: Sorting or grouping by 'File Path'
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 03:45:52 am »
Thank you rick.ca for your suggestions.

I overlooked the Miscellaneous Option for playlist settings. I use .m3u for my movie playlists for where I use to have 2 part/cd movies which I now no longer use for I put them both together using either VirtualDub or Nandub. and I use .pls for my audio playlists.

Thank you for the info on how to apply Search options. I didn't recognize that where it says 'Title + Oiginal Title + Aka' was actually a button until you hover over top of it, because there are no sides to it. Then when you click on it you get a long list of options you can choose from for the search options. One of them being as you said file path.

anything