Author Topic: Minor toolbar bugs  (Read 6343 times)

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Minor toolbar bugs
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:48:02 pm »
Hi,

Just noticed this: When in People View, the area between the main search box and the "Web search" box, where the button for choosing the fields to search lies, isn't wide enough for the longest of the button's labels. "Name + Translated name + Alternative name" becomes truncated to "e + Translated name + Alternative na".

Also noticing some wonkiness with the main toolbar. If I go into Preferences and add additional buttons beyond the default set, sometimes they show up and sometimes they don't. And I don't mean that they appear "ghosted out" (like they would if they didn't apply to the current operating mode/view), I mean that they don't appear at all. For example, if I add the button "Automatically create screenshots", it's nowhere to be found, no matter where I put it in the toolbar. The toolbar just gets a little bit wider, as if a bit more space was inserted... but no new button. But other buttons (e.g. "Add video files") can be added and work as expected.

Also, if the main toolbar and search toolbar are on the same line (as is default), and extra buttons are added to the main toolbar, the search toolbar's position upon launching the program sometimes partially obscures the main toolbar, and I have to move the search toolbar to expose the rest of the main toolbar buttons. It would be nice if we could "lock" the toolbars in position, as in other apps that have movable toolbars.

It'd also be nice to be able to resize the text boxes for the Search and Web Search. (IMO, both search boxes are a bit wider than they really need to be.)

Finally: Why is the main search box a different height than the Web Search one? That is, the main Search box has a bit more whitespace above and below where the typed text appears. And, the Web search box has a visible border, while the main Search box has none. Is this just a peculiarity of whatever tools were used to build PVD? (Yeah, it's a minor quibble, I just think it's visually inconsistent.)

Aimhere

buah

Re: Minor toolbar bugs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:50:20 pm »
It is confirmed earlier with my instance of PVD all that you mentioned above, too, but I can live with that. Also, for some localized terms in Serbian, button dimensions are often too small. It would be nice wherever it would be possible to define them as "autosized"?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:51:42 am »
Just noticed this: When in People View, the area between the main search box and the "Web search" box, where the button for choosing the fields to search lies, isn't wide enough for the longest of the button's labels. "Name + Translated name + Alternative name" becomes truncated to "e + Translated name + Alternative na".

It is not possible to make it long enough for all possible values and I think it is not so bad any way.

Also noticing some wonkiness with the main toolbar. If I go into Preferences and add additional buttons beyond the default set, sometimes they show up and sometimes they don't. And I don't mean that they appear "ghosted out" (like they would if they didn't apply to the current operating mode/view), I mean that they don't appear at all. For example, if I add the button "Automatically create screenshots", it's nowhere to be found, no matter where I put it in the toolbar. The toolbar just gets a little bit wider, as if a bit more space was inserted... but no new button. But other buttons (e.g. "Add video files") can be added and work as expected.

I can't reproduce this behavior. What is your screen resolution, dpi, PVD window width?

Also, if the main toolbar and search toolbar are on the same line (as is default), and extra buttons are added to the main toolbar, the search toolbar's position upon launching the program sometimes partially obscures the main toolbar, and I have to move the search toolbar to expose the rest of the main toolbar buttons. It would be nice if we could "lock" the toolbars in position, as in other apps that have movable toolbars.

Hmm, I'll add this for version 1

Finally: Why is the main search box a different height than the Web Search one? That is, the main Search box has a bit more whitespace above and below where the typed text appears. And, the Web search box has a visible border, while the main Search box has none. Is this just a peculiarity of whatever tools were used to build PVD? (Yeah, it's a minor quibble, I just think it's visually inconsistent.)

The search box is actually a combobox showing the dropdown arrow only if it is needed and the web search box is just a simple text edit box.

Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:53:07 am »
A good summary of the issues, AimHere.

I experienced the vanishing button thing once, but couldn't see any pattern to it. I had to remove the button, restart the program and re-add the button to get it back. The button, BTW, was that for Automatic screenshots—maybe that's more than coincidence.

Maybe some sort of dynamic resizing of the search bar components (so they all fit in the space available) would be the "least fussy" solution. It wouldn't give a perfect result in all cases, but would probably be better than requiring the user to adjust the widths (if that is even feasible). Otherwise, as you suggest, just making the text boxes narrower would go a long way to resolving the problem.

The search box is actually a combobox showing the dropdown arrow only if it is needed and the web search box is just a simple text edit box.

Good! Then the issue will be resolved automatically when you replace the simple edit box with a combobox. ;)

I've always wanted some means for web searching terms other than the default Original title or Name. A combobox would be a perfect way to make other search terms available. What I miss the most is being able to use Title instead of Original title, but it could also be used for searches not involving the title, like Genre and Category for jumping to web lists of similar movies, Studio and Director for viewing sources like Wikipedia, and (I love this one) File path for opening the video in any program (e.g., an alternate player, analyzer, subtitle searcher, screenshot maker, encoder, etc.).

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:57:19 am »
Maybe some sort of dynamic resizing of the search bar components (so they all fit in the space available) would be the "least fussy" solution. It wouldn't give a perfect result in all cases, but would probably be better than requiring the user to adjust the widths (if that is even feasible). Otherwise, as you suggest, just making the text boxes narrower would go a long way to resolving the problem.

All the components already try to adjust their width according to total window width

Good! Then the issue will be resolved automatically when you replace the simple edit box with a combobox. Wink

I've always wanted some means for web searching terms other than the default Original title or Name. A combobox would be a perfect way to make other search terms available. What I miss the most is being able to use Title instead of Original title, but it could also be used for searches not involving the title, like Genre and Category for jumping to web lists of similar movies, Studio and Director for viewing sources like Wikipedia, and (I love this one) File path for opening the video in any program (e.g., an alternate player, analyzer, subtitle searcher, screenshot maker, encoder, etc.).

Hey, this is a great idea indeed. Added to my TODO list.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 03:15:05 am »
All the components already try to adjust their width according to total window width

Sorry, I might have acknowledged that is the case. But I was referring to the situation where the window is maximized and the tool and search bars are sharing the same space. Then, just when it's likely to need some shrinking, it stays fixed.

Hey, this is a great idea indeed. Added to my TODO list.

Glad you like it. You might have to rename Web search "Über search," or something. ;)

anything