Author Topic: IMDB People biography  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Starbanker

• View Profile
IMDB People biography
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:27:38 am »
I recently started getting twitter info rather than the biography when using IMDB people plugin.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: IMDB People biography
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:12:39 pm »
Thx for the info, I will check this. Could you provide a couple of names for testing?
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

buah

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 05:57:21 pm »
I recently started getting twitter info rather than the biography when using IMDB people plugin.

Can you please explain how you use it, I'd like to try it?
Tnx

Offline Starbanker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:33:22 pm »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 01:39:58 am »
Fixed

buah

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 02:14:29 am »
I really don't know anything about getting twitter info using IMDb plugin. As soon as Starbanker twitted (;D) about problem, I checked it with Jean-Claude Van Damme, and imported his bio - it was exactly the same as at IMDb site? So, please explain to me what the problem looked like.

But, another strange thing happened!

This is what and how I did it, after Starbanker reported a problem. I have JCVD (2008) movie entry. In movie view mode I clicked on Jean-Claude Van Damme's name, and have been switched to people view mode. There, I imported his data for the very first time. The result was as in the first paragraph of this post - everything went OK. I wrote my first post here. No reply.
Then, I switched back to JCVD (2008) and - no Jean-Claude Van Damme in the actors list? Back again to people - he was there. F5 - nothing. Restarted PVD - nada.

Then, nostra fixed plugin. Updated PVD. Updated JCVD (2008), Jean-Claude Van Damme came back to the list. Erased everything except url for Jean-Claude Van Damme in People. Imported his data. Everything same as earlier - OK. Back to the movie - Jean-Claude Van Damme again not in the actors list?

Please help!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:25:33 am by buah »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 02:30:13 am »
I really don't know anything about getting twitter info using IMDb plugin. As soon as Starbanker twitted (Grin) about problem, I checked it with Jean-Claude Van Damme, and imported his bio - it was exactly the same as at IMDb site? So, please explain to me what the problem looked like.

It only happens with people who have twitter info on imdb...

Then, nostra fixed plugin. Updated PVD. Updated JCVD (2008), Jean-Claude Van Damme came back to the list. Erased everything except url for Jean-Claude Van Damme in People. Imported his data. Everything same as earlier - OK. Back to the movie - Jean-Claude Van Damme again not in the actors list?.

Have you change title/original title or year of JCVD? Those should match the data in filmography for the person to appear as actor in the movie automatically.

buah

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 02:38:32 am »
No, I never change any non-custom field's data. I even don't update them, only for testing purposes. You can't reproduce the problem?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 02:44:50 am »
No I can't reproduce the problem.
What are the overwrite settings for both imdb plugins?
Are you using any additional plugins (other than imdb)?
Can you make a screenshot of the movie information card and person information card?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 02:58:20 am »
I don't see anything unusual in what buah describes. If a filmography is deleted, the actor will disappear from the movies they were listed in. Re-importing the filmography will not magically make the actor reappear in the movie records. The movies have to be updated to do that.

[Edit:] Re-importing the filmography will add the actor to the bottom of the list in the movie records. The movies have to be updated to put the credits back in order.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:22:06 am by rick.ca »

buah

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 03:29:28 am »
Rick,

You'd be right if I were first deleted it. But, as I wrote twice, first I had a movie, than imported bio and that's how he disappeared from the actors list. JCVD, btw, is the last movie in my list.

Nostra, I made some screenshots, then I discovered that I had JCVD invisible record, and after updated bio, I guess, that invisible JCVD record got only his credits for the movie - actor, producer, etc, but his credits from the visible JCVD were gone. I deleted invisible JCVD record with CTRL+YES and updated all, and everything seems ok now. It was important information for me that you couldn't reproduce the problem, meaning that something was locally wrong.

How I discovered I had invisible JCVD record? In his bio, that movie's font wasn't red-colored, but only blue. How I got that record - don't know.

Thank you guys.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 06:49:54 am »
You'd be right if I were first deleted it.

Sorry—I've corrected my misspeak above.

How I got that record - don't know.

I don't think this is a particularly unique occurrence. It might be a bit too puzzling for most users to bother complaining about. For a large collection in which filmographies are being maintained, it's actually very likely an invisible record exists before a movie is added. If such a record is not recognized being identical—as the "new" movie is added—a duplicate will be created. Unfortunately, the filmographies of people associated with the movies but already in the database will remain connected to the invisible duplicate record. It's even more common with series, where duplicate records are created intentionally so filmographies will show the year of first appearance rather than the year the series started. As has been discussed before, a better design is necessary.

buah

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 12:26:34 pm »
Rick,

Thank you for additional explaining of the issue. Someone once said that recognizing the problem is 80% of solution that resolves that very problem. And I think we recognized it, explained it and solved it here very effectively in a few posts. Please consider to spin it off as a separate topic with title, for instance "Missing people in movie credits after updating biography", or something like that.

Thanks once again.

anything