Author Topic: How to import 6000 films from movie collector to PVD?  (Read 21481 times)

waltdisneypixar

Re: How to import 6000 films from movie collector to PVD?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 09:23:34 pm »
I haven't done it myself, but I imagine it went something like this:

3. Export data from Movie Collector in required format.
4. Import data into AMC.

let's see if CAD can help
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:10:58 pm by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:33 pm »
If you want anyone to help, you might extend the courtesy of at least considering the advice that has been given. ::)

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
  • I've got my eye on you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 06:06:35 am »
how?

I'll ask him when I see him next.  :D

But I imagine the process is along the lines of ricks outline.
three fingered salutation

waltdisneypixar

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 08:20:56 am »
i knew iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

MY PROBLEM WAS:

I DIDN'T HAVE EXCEL

as soon as i installed it, i could import easily from .xls

waltdisneypixar

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 08:27:37 am »
and now if i select 5 films, how can i update with PVD because i only have title and year

and i want imdb and poster

buah

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 12:29:43 pm »

MY PROBLEM WAS:

I DIDN'T HAVE EXCEL

Can you please tell me how did you get xls file you couldn't import into PVD? The one you attached here and I imported it into PVD for you?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 12:42:55 pm »
Excel files can be created by other spreadsheet programs, but the plugin may require that Excel be installed. These other programs, however, can also save files that can be imported by the CSV plugin.

buah

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 06:26:39 pm »
Excel files can be created by other spreadsheet programs, but the plugin may require that Excel be installed.

That's what i thought, but I wanted pixar to confirm it? I think I'll find some time to test if PVD plugin needs Excel to be installed. And if it needs it, I'll try if it's enough to have Excel Viewer only to be installed in order to import xls

These other programs, however, can also save files that can be imported by the CSV plugin.

Of course!

waltdisneypixar

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »

MY PROBLEM WAS:

I DIDN'T HAVE EXCEL

Can you please tell me how did you get xls file you couldn't import into PVD? The one you attached here and I imported it into PVD for you?

i got the films.xls from my dad's pc. because he has microsoft excel and i'm not

so when i tried to import, i couldn't because i didn't have microsoft excel.

waltdisneypixar

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 06:32:16 pm »
hi

i imported 6000 films from movie collector to PVD

only title and year

is there a way now to select one or maybe more and update it to get imdb plugin and poster plugin?

In movie collector there was an option to update them automatically

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 08:33:21 pm »
I'll try if it's enough to have Excel Viewer only to be installed in order to import xls

That would be good to know. If nosta notices this, he could probably tell us. Those who need the capability but don't have Excel could then use a Google or Open Office spreadsheet application, and still be able to import the result with the Excel plugin.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47:03 pm »
is there a way now to select one or maybe more and update it to get imdb plugin and poster plugin?

Please review the topics presented in the Help Index and read our excellent Wiki before asking questions like this.

waltdisneypixar

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:40 pm »
you could answer yes or no and a way to show the road

if like i'm asking directions to a place, and you tell me go to the supermarket and buy a map

thank you

for that, don't bother to reply to my question, maybe someone who is willing to help and write can tell me a bit more

thanks to new topics people gets help and others can check the answers

buah

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 12:15:18 am »
if like i'm asking directions to a place, and you tell me go to the supermarket and buy a map

Pixar, I don't know how old (young) you are, but what you said and I quoted is both right and wrong.

Right:
It is common situation in a world of forums to "send someone to supermarket to buy a map", especially when something is offering for free, like PVD is. It is almost polite first to try to search whole information database before asking a question. In most forums  it is a rule like this one for example:
Be sure you read all the stickies and FAQs and have done a search at the forum before asking a question.

And here, there are no rules, as far as I know. And I assume it is so because we are treated as grown, polite beings who hasn't to be told what would be nice to behave.

Wrong:
Every question you asked here is already answered, and the only thing for you to do is to read it. So, what you actually asked Rick is:"Hey, you gave me this cell phone for free, but can you tell me how to use it?" and Rick told you "Here is free manual too". Got it? If you paid for PVD, Rick would be wrong and you would be right.

Please don't be offended by this answer, for my only intention is to keep you as PVD user, since there is no better software of its kind, believe me.

Cheers

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 01:49:17 am »
for that, don't bother to reply to my question, maybe someone who is willing to help and write can tell me a bit more

Well, that's different. Most criticize me for answering too many questions. ;)

I have no objection to questions being asked. What I have asked you to do (several times) is to be more specific and include more information about what your objective is, what you tried to do to achieve it, and what happened. Leaving it up to us to guess about those things is both rude and ineffective. The result is likely a long and confusing thread that won't be of any use to anyone else, even if the matter is eventually resolved.

This is a user group community. It works to the extent participants are willing to help each other. For new users, that willingness can be demonstrated by dropping any pretence of entitlement and extending the courtesy of providing the information others need in order to help.

And here, there are no rules, as far as I know.

Now you know. ;)

If you paid for PVD, Rick would be wrong and you would be right.

This is only partially true. Sure, when a licence fee has been paid, then there is some obligation to provide support. The irony is, few commercial products can afford to offer support at a level anywhere approaching that found in user groups like this one. So the trend seems to be towards some sort of user forum support wherever possible. The ones I'm familiar with are not much different than this one—the same rules seem to apply. The only difference is some of the participants are employed by the developer. Some users have difficultly dropping the attitude of "I paid my fee, where's my help," but those that do quickly realize the benefits.