Author Topic: Conspiracy Theory  (Read 7291 times)

buah

Conspiracy Theory
« on: March 06, 2010, 01:05:34 am »
I started this topic is a spin-off of Funny Thing topic
I know almost nothing of databases. But...

When designing database we really have to be careful if we'll allow NULL condition of a field. But, if allowed, it'd be good when importing/erasing data, for instance, to trigger a dialog box, if it's possible, something like this: "Empty value for ____ record is to be imported/erased. Should it be empty or NULL?"

But what's the creepiest thing here is what I read following mgp's excellent link:

"NULL values in a database: A programmer's nightmare"

It analyzed what I noticed and felt with my firt post in Funny Thing topic. It might be the future of our world as we know it in the matter, if it's already not.

And mgp: not only ones who care; and Aim: not database gurus, but we mortals at first should be allowed by Constitution to use IS NOT NULL to check if someone was (is) messing up with our lives violating use of NULL and vice versa. Or, even better, what I feel at the moment, NULL at all, as I see it now, should be explicitly forbidden by Constitution. Imagine if your database birth record field is allowed to be NULL? Can you? ;D

Using only one, IS NULL or IS NOT NULL, could proclaim you dead. And the truth today more than ever before, and less than tomorrow, is stored in and generated by different databases.

Any thoughts?

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

Re: Conspiracy Theory
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 02:34:27 am »
If I go to the bakery and ask for a pie, the baker says what kind?  (null value)
I say apple, and he doesn't have any on display...he has to check in the back.  (no value)
He comes back and says I don't have any. (zero value)

At the end of it all, I'm still left with the question....where's my pie?   ;D

buah

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 02:50:38 am »
In Serbia, and that's true, the baker would say то you:"It can't be we don't have it, it only could be we're out of it" ;D

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 02:52:47 am »
Sounds like the Monty Python cheese skit to me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:54:38 am by mgpw4me@yahoo.com »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 03:51:13 am »
Coming to a theatre near you...

Another wacky film by Tim Burton...

IS NOT NULL

starring Johnny Depp as the Mad Notter.

Once again, Alice falls down the rabbit hole while trying to use Advanced Search...

buah

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 04:57:38 am »
A Brief History of Time IS NULL

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
  • I've got my eye on you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 11:53:30 am »
ROFLMAOSHISMP
three fingered salutation