Author Topic: Order of Custom Fields  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Banta67

• View Profile
Order of Custom Fields
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:54:38 am »
Hello,

I need to add a bunch of custom fields and would like them to appear grouped, such as...

group01_custom01
group01_custom02
group01_custom03

group02_custom01
group02_custom02
group02_custom03

group03_custom01
group03_custom02
group03_custom03

However, when I add them, in that order and save the list, it reorders itself willy nilly.
How can I get my custom lists to stay in the oder I add them. Or better, how can I re-arrange them after they are created?

Thanks
Banta

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Order of Custom Fields
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:40:34 am »
If you look at your list of custom fields in Preferences, you'll see they're grouped by field type. I'm not sure (because I don't use it anymore), but this may also determine how they are presented in the special customsection of the default skin. Regardless of what order they're in, there's no way to change it. The only way to control the placement of a custom field is to explicitly define in somewhere outside customsection. Once you have done that, it will appear there and not in customsection.

My recommendation is to replace the custom section with a regular one, where all the custom fields are explicitly defined. Once you are satisfied that has been done correctly, then you can change their order or move them to other locations in the skin. My Theatre View Skin illustrates the result. The top section of the skin (beside the poster) uses a mix of standard and custom fields presented in a logical order. Additional custom fields are left in another section (below the file info). This section was originally my replacement for customsection.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Order of Custom Fields
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:57:00 pm »
I'm not sure (because I don't use it anymore), but this may also determine how they are presented in the special customsection of the default skin.

Yes, custom fields are always sorted by type
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

anything