Author Topic: Database Specific Skin  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Banta67

• View Profile
Database Specific Skin
« on: March 12, 2010, 04:37:32 pm »
Hello,
Is there a way to have a specific skin load when a different Database is loaded?

For instance, if I load a Database1, Skin1 will load.  If I load Database2, Skin2 would load.

Thanks
Banta

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Database Specific Skin
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 06:31:12 pm »
No. But you might consider using different configurations. Starting the program with the -portable switch forces it to create and use a configuration file in the application directory. So you could have two shortcuts—one that uses the portable switch and one that doesn't. Each could load different databases and use different skins. If that's not enough, you could have as many different installations as you require, each run with the -portable switch so their configurations remain independent.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 02:01:19 am »
 ;D ::) In fact you can. PVD must always have some hidden features to impress users :)
Make a copy of pvdconf.ini located in "C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Personal Video Database\" near the database file and rename it to databasename.ini. When PVD sees this file it will automatically use settings in it including Skins.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 05:44:41 am »
PVD must always have some hidden features to impress users.

And, of course, a simple Easter Egg just won't do. ::)

I've attempted to clarify this by testing. It seems the MRU database is recorded in pvdconfig.ini, but any other changes are recorded in databasename.ini—if one exists beside databasename.pvd. Settings changed for any database for which there is no databasename.ini or which is connected via server will continue to be recorded in pvdconfig.ini. There are exceptions, not all of which I've figured out. Web searches, for example, are loaded from pvdconfig.ini regardless of what's in the database-specific configurations.

I like this. Now when I switch to my test database, a separate configuration file will automatically be used. Although I'm usually connected to my main database by server, I've created a separate configuration for it as well. It specifies a different skin—so it will be more obvious to me I'm not connected by server—when that's the case.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:49:05 pm »
PVD must always have some hidden features to impress users.

And, of course, a simple Easter Egg just won't do. Roll Eyes

PVD must always be special :)

've attempted to clarify this by testing. It seems the MRU database is recorded in pvdconfig.ini, but any other changes are recorded in databasename.ini—if one exists beside databasename.pvd. Settings changed for any database for which there is no databasename.ini or which is connected via server will continue to be recorded in pvdconfig.ini. There are exceptions, not all of which I've figured out. Web searches, for example, are loaded from pvdconfig.ini regardless of what's in the database-specific configurations.

Yes there are some exceptions (not all settings are read/written near database file), it does not work when connected to server and the system was not tested enough, so I did not advertise this feature.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!