Author Topic: Home Page  (Read 5679 times)

buah

Home Page
« on: March 13, 2010, 11:08:04 am »
I woke up this morning, happy it was weekend. Made me some coffee, checked PVD site and few others on a regular basis, opened PVD to check couple of entries I made last night. I couldn't remember which entries they were!
That's what gave me an idea. Wouldn't be appropriate if it's possible to have some kind of "Home page" on opening in PVD with data such as:

1. Recently added movies
2. Recently added people
2. Recently seen movies
3. Highest rated movies
4. Lowest rated movies
5. Recently deleted movies (without CTRL+R),

and things like that...?

Any thoughts?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Home Page
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:16:16 pm »
Yes it is a nice idea, I think. There were also suggestions to put such information on this page as movies coming soon, new dvd/bd releases, loaned movies with overdue, people who have birthday or died today etc.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

buah

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 05:59:17 pm »
Yeah, great ideas in addition, too.
Thanks for your consideration nostra.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:25:58 pm »
There were also suggestions to put such information on this page as movies coming soon, new dvd/bd releases, loaned movies with overdue, people who have birthday or died today etc.

Those sound like RSS feeds, so in that regard I assume this would be a completely user-configurable thing (i.e., simply specify the feed and number of items to show).

For database queries (like the items buah suggests), it would be nice if they could be specified with the long-awaited and much-anticipated Saved Search feature. This would be another reason for implementing some sort of saved search management facility that's not available only from Advanced Search. It would be used to place a saved search on the Home Page, as well as attaching them to menus and/or toolbar buttons. This would be an excellent way to "show off" the power and flexibility of Advanced Search. Each such item on the Home Page could be linked to the actual search so it would be easy to modify and re-save them, or just use any one of them as a starting point for a new search.

Another not-yet-existing feature that would work well with this is would be the ability to generate summary statistics (number of records, average or median for any numeric field, top 10 number of occurrences of a value for any field, etc.) for any search.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 12:11:03 am »
RSS fields and customizable statistics are very interesting ideas as well. I will consider both of them for later version. As for the "Home page" feature: I think it will be most flexible to implement it as another type of plugin or smth like this. We'll see :)
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!