Author Topic: Your Custom Fields  (Read 6094 times)

buah

Your Custom Fields
« on: March 14, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »
Please, share a screenshot of your Preferences -> Custom Items section, in order to give idea to other users what else they could use PVD for.

Here is mine

Thanks in advance

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Your Custom Fields
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:12:15 pm »
Good idea.

[attachment deleted by admin]

buah

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:53:10 pm »
Wow, I see at least 4 fields I would like to have in my configuration, and the two of them as a part of standard package:
1. Original duration: helpful in cases you don't know if you have DC, Uncut, Unrated version - for instance.
2. Reviews: This is something I miss the most in PVD. Importing the longest comment from IMDb for instance would be considerable while deciding whether to watch the movie or not by several reasons:
- If someone wrote a long comment, that means he/she really has something to say about the movie.
- Then, I look at the literacy of it.
- Then, I look at the consistency of text.
- At the end I look to the point of comment and decide to watch the movie or not, or at least what to have on my mind if watching it. Or, it could help me to shape my own opinion about the movie. I never take care of movie plots, because by deduction you could always reduct it to the oldest and the original cliche since Old Testament - fight of good and evil.

So, you write reviews, or you copy/paste them from somewhere?

Later, I'll feel free to ask you what you use some other fields for.

Cheers

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 11:38:51 pm »
Most of my custom fields, including Review, are for AllMovie data which I import using my AllMovie+ script. The reviews are a little long if you're just looking for brief indication of whether a movie is worth watching. I prefer something with more substance, but still not too long. I like these reviews because they're fairly consistent in nature and quality—like AllMovie actually has some editorial standards. They're usually in the range of 200 - 400 words, seldom more than 500—which seems about right for what I want. To compare, I think most "professional" reviews (e.g., Roger Ebert) are probably in the 1,000 - 1,500 word range.