Author Topic: Lost Actor?  (Read 10805 times)

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
Lost Actor?
« on: March 27, 2010, 11:52:36 am »
Are there any known issues concerning  lost people when adding a new film (with this person)?

My problem was that I added a movie with an actor already among my people view - but this new film didn't show up in the movie list on its people page. So I updated / re-imported data from the internet for this guy and - voila - pvd deleted this actor from the old films and only displayed this actor with the newly added flick. And the movie list for this actor refuses to display the old films... Then I re-imported data for the old films and pvd keeps on refusing to add this actor again. I'm kinda puzzled, I already ran the DB clean-up routine with no effect. Manually adding this actor again works fine, but this could get an annoying bug if this happens again...  ???

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Lost Actor?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 01:21:55 pm »
This is a know problem that usually acquires when movie title, original title or year in filmography do not match the ones in the movie record.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 07:12:10 pm »
This is a know problem that usually acquires when movie title, original title or year in filmography do not match the ones in the movie record.

Could you elaborate? There are a number of issues around maintaining filmographies, and I'm not sure where this fits in. Title is meant to be whatever the user wants it to be, so surely that doesn't cause a mismatch. On the other hand, if Original title is not downloaded and properly maintained, I can see how that might mess things up. I'm not sure if this is one of them, but I find I have fewer problems with filmographies by not setting Merge filmography (at Preferences - Plugins). Might that be a "solution" in this case?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:22:30 pm »
It is actually like this: one of the titles and year should match. It causes problems if year differs or both titles do not match. Not setting "Merge filmography" prevents the program from adding 2 records for the same movie/person from different sources with different (wrong) year/title/original title, so it really helps if you do not check this option.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 07:42:43 pm »
Right. I knew there was a reason it works for me. ;)

That is:
  • Merge filmography is not set.
  • Original title is set to overwrite, and the value is never edited.

Problems remain with series because an actor's year of first appearance may not be the same as the series year of inception.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 08:46:26 pm »
Yeah, series is a big part of the program that needs to be improved, I know.

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 05:06:01 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

If only actors are affected I don't think it is a huge problem.

By the way: "merge filmography" was not enabled...
Merge filmography is not set.
Original title is set to overwrite, and the value is never edited.

A maybe little stupid question: if a checkbox is completely filled (and not ticked) it means "change stuff if field is empty" and ticked means "overwrite" - right?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 06:11:59 pm »
If only actors are affected I don't think it is a huge problem.

It can affect any people. If the right settings are used, I don't think the problem is huge. It's just annoying. ;)

if a checkbox is completely filled (and not ticked) it means "change stuff if field is empty" and ticked means "overwrite" - right?

Right.

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 09:04:26 pm »
Thanks!