Author Topic: Manual Search  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Lordfinarfin

• View Profile
Manual Search
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:33:36 am »
A good thing to add could be a manual search, because?

For example search this movie on IMDB.com > $9.99.

PVD return a list of 20 possible movies, but the movie didnt appear on the list. It appear to be a limit in the search of 20 movies.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Manual Search
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 01:38:45 pm »
There is no limit.

How exactly did you search? (exact keyword, in which field)
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline Lordfinarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:38:55 pm »
Title and AKA title, I tried with 9,99 > 9.99 > $9.99 > $9,99.
In IMDB only 20 results but not the correct movie.
With Filmaffinity > ok.

Today I saw that there is no limits, as you said, but with this movie is impossible.
I also remember another problem with the film FAMILIA by Fernando León de Aranoa. I can search it on IMDB but the same problem as 9,99 in filmaffinity.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:26:09 pm »
I don't have the same problem with $9.99. It's the second hit on the search page, and that's how it's presented in the PVD search dialog. The problem with Familia is the FilmAffinity search does not find it. You have to search for the director, then select it from the results.

In some cases (for a variety of reasons) an automatic search will fail, and a manual search is required. The way that is done now is to go to the source website and use whatever search tools it offers directly. When the desired movie is found, it's URL can be copied to PVD's URL field and the plugin run again. I don't see any way that can be improved upon. What, exactly, do you mean by "manual search"?

Offline Lordfinarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:35:07 am »
If you search for "familia" on Filmaffinity the search return 104 movies, but PVD only show 20.

Manual Search > I think is what you said, searching with the URL. I will tried it.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:28:43 pm »
If you search for "familia" on Filmaffinity the search return 104 movies, but PVD only show 20.

You're right. Not understanding Spanish, I failed to realize the search returns one of six pages of results. The problem is, the plugin can get the results from only the first page—only the first 20 hits.

anything