Author Topic: Crash when importing xls file  (Read 5710 times)

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Crash when importing xls file
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:28:37 am »

I am working at exporting and re-importing my database in an attempt to fix the firebird problem we have already covered with Nostra, Buah and Rick.
 I have created a test database of two movies and I am only testing a simple export import of these out/in pvd.
 Exporting into an xml file goes with no problem but when I want to import it into pvd the databse just crashes on me.
 I have no idea why so I am attaching the bug report here if it helps. I am also attaching the .xls file (I have changed the extension to txt so that I could attach it)

I have not yet updated to version 19 of PVD because this mean I would have to again manipulate firebird embedded files and all that mess I have to do with every new version of PVD.

May I add that this is properly scarying me, as I need to do this on a 700Mb database file with many many movies...
 I would love to have Nostra help me fix the file instead...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Crash when importing xls file
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:26:38 pm »
According to my Excel, your Book2.xls is not a valid Excel file (although Excel is able to recover a portion of it). And the exception reported is "Specified file is not a Personal Video Database XML file." Are you sure you're creating a valid XLS file, and importing it with the Excel import plugin?

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 08:16:26 pm »

Strange.
 I have just tested it again, excel opens the file fine and displays the info related to the two movies of my test database.
 Have you changed the extension to .xls?
 I have just compressed it for you with Winrar (Then changed the extension to .zip so that I can attach it here), instead of changing the extension.
 Can you try again?

Also when trying to import it with PVD I don't get the error you are getting, but a crash.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:18:04 pm by deazo »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:58:43 pm »
Can you try again?

This one works fine.

I don't get the error you are getting

The exception was quoted from your bug report.

Have you configured the Excel import plugin properly? The order of the fields must match the order of the columns in the Excel file exactly (the column headers are ignored).

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 03:48:24 pm »
Have you configured the Excel import plugin properly?

It sounds obvious now that you say it... I' ll check that out and get back to you if problems.

Thanks