Author Topic: duration of the film (when exported) is not rounded  (Read 8055 times)

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
duration of the film (when exported) is not rounded
« on: April 01, 2010, 02:30:46 pm »
There is a minor(!) issue when displaying in minutes or exporting via template: {%value=length}
The seconds are just cut off instead of being rounded. The shortest short film in my database is 54 seconds, what becomes a runtime of 0 minutes.
Maybe it would even be a good idea to always round to the next full minute (01:22:12 = 73 minutes). That seems to be the common practice for DVD-covers and throughout the net.
By the way, is there a possibility to to get the duration in seconds or as hh:mm:ss when exporting via {%value=length}?
(I'm running v0.9.9.18, WinXP)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: duration of the film (when exported) is not rounded
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:52:44 am »
AFAICT, MediaInfo (the DLL used to get Length) only gets minutes, and only minutes are recorded. Are you saying your Length field includes seconds (perhaps you imported them), or just that you want it to?

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:56:53 am »
Thanks for your immediate answers. Not only a nice app, but fast support, too...

So, if it is MediaInfo, that is used to fetch the length of an AVI- or MKV-file (did I understand that right?), then MediaInfo gets the seconds, too. Perhaps it behaves different with different file types? Didn't try it with VOBs till now, cause I'm still quite new to PVD... Within PVD the duration must be stored to its full extend, cause it is displayed as 01:48:43, for example (in preferences "Use minutes for duration field" must be unchecked to see this, of course). Sometimes audio streams are longer than the video stream, and even that is recognised and the duration reported seems to always represent the duration of the longest stream. I love that!  :) And I'd love to be able to export it...  ;)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:21:02 am »
Oops. I didn't think to change the display type. I just checked the standalone version of MediaInfo, which doesn't display seconds. Now I see what you mean—Length is exported as minutes, even though seconds "exist." Maybe it was done that way to avoid formating problems. Still, I suppose it could easily be exported as seconds or decimal minutes. Or you could decide truncated minutes are close enough. ;)

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:37 pm »
Seconds would be neat for interaction with other programs that won't deal with minutes but want to have the length in seconds for CSV import. PVD export templates seem to be limited to minutes at the moment.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 02:13:17 pm »
Your suggestion to round seconds when displaying minutes only is a nice one, so I plan to implement it in the next version. A possibility to export length as time with seconds is also not difficult to implement, so stay tuned ;)
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 03:04:22 am »
Great, thanks a lot!  :D