English > Scripts and Templates

Export template: HTML List (English + German)

<< < (2/37) > >>

rick.ca:

--- Quote ---I would really like to be able to export the film duration in seconds.
--- End quote ---

As I indicated here, this is unlikely possible. Maybe just as well...it saves me from explaining your position has no perks and is largely thankless. And you're not allowed to resign without a 2/3 majority of the membership. 8)

Although I'm not sure what they want or why, I'm hoping you might come up with a set of templates that would satisfy the somewhat regular request for some sort of print facility. ;)

svenne:
Every value that can be exported can be formatted for printing with HTML and CSS. The result would only be limited by the printing capabilities of the browser. Within the CSS you can even assign fixed font sizes in "pt" (point), just as it is done in Word, for example.

There is another possibility that might work out even better: I could try to write export templates for rich text files (.rtf). Did something similar few years ago.

Rich text is some kind of markup language, just like HTML, but more cryptic. Though the file format once was introduced by Microsoft, it's been there for decades now and every word processor I came across would open RTF-files with ease. It's not limited to Windows systems. The format is common to Mac- and Linux-applications, too. So anyone could open their exported movie details, movie lists, or whatever, with their standard word processor. RTF-files are already assigned to the standard word processor in most cases by default, so (double)click the RTF-file and it shows up. Then you can apply some changes to the content if you want to and just print it.

buah:
Really nice work svenne! I'm wondering could it be possible to make HTML export to looks just like PVD classic skin (with left and right frame)?

rick.ca:

--- Quote ---I could try to write export templates for rich text files
--- End quote ---

That's an interesting idea, but can those also be displayed in a browser? Some users want that (for a variety of reasons), while others want something they can print. It would be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

--- Quote ---I'm wondering could it be possible to make HTML export to looks just like PVD classic skin (with left and right frame)?
--- End quote ---

I was wondering the same thing. It seems a logical place to start—a template that at least includes all the standard fields laid-out in a manner similar to the default skin. I wouldn't expect it to look exactly the same or that it would be the best presentation, but it may be a necessary lowest common denominator. It would be complete, familiar, and would serve as a good starting point for those who want to modify it.

It would also be nice to have something similar to the existing Index & Movies template. That is, a linked table of contents or index to the movies included in the report. If that were a one-movie-per-line listing, it might serve as a stand-alone listing as well as an index.

svenne:
No, RTF cannot be displayed in a browser. We can stick just to HTML and CSS and first see what's possible, that makes sense.

Ok, frames...
At the moment templates don't allow saving the additional HTML-file containing the frameset, do they?
For frames you'd have to save this file + the movie list + the movie detail pages. But I could do something similar using iframes (inner frames), or I'd better say, I already did that.  ;)
Iframes are not so very different from frames, they are standard HTML since HTML 4.0 and supported by all modern browsers, as far as I know.
I didn't include all possible fields, but I could add more to the template in near future.

There are four attachments. The first two are just updated versions of "HTML List" (the templates are now replacing <, > and & with proper HTML codes). The last two are those with iframes, just try them and you will see what they do...

(see latest post of mine in this thread for attachments!!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version