Author Topic: Suggestions/Questions  (Read 6563 times)

Offline leogets

• User
    • View Profile
Suggestions/Questions
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:57:07 pm »
? Is there any way possible to use something like pvd_setup.exe as link to the download for pvd, but when downloading this file besides manually always having to edit the file name of download to incorperate the version of this particular setup for your system to automatically tag version info. to the setup file?

? When the setup file is run, there is nothing upon starting the file that lets us know what version of the app this setup is for.  Can someone please make a slight adjustment to the setup file that when executed will tell the user what version it is they are about to install?

? I see links to download new updates to plugins/skins/web pages but I see no link to Prior versions of PVD.  Luckly for me I had a prior version of the setup file already renamed to pvd_setup v0.9.9.18.exe. Can someone please create a link where older/prior versions of PVD, setup and .zip can be downloaded from? Doesn't have to be all prior versions.

?** Is there any way at all you can make some slight change to PVD that will signify to the end user that the movie listed in the database actually has a playlist to run from where there is more than one movie under the same heading, besides always having to check the file info./file path for | as a seperator for the movies.  This would be of great help.... Maybe apply a * at the end of the file ID or a * at the beginning of the movie name but have the * null-and-void when organizing movies into alphabetical order.  (a * at the end of the file ID would be of no use, if the Classic Tabs skin was used, for the ID is not displayed to the end user).

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

Re: Suggestions/Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 05:34:32 pm »

?** Is there any way at all you can make some slight change to PVD that will signify to the end user that the movie listed in the database actually has a playlist to run from where there is more than one movie under the same heading, besides always having to check the file info./file path for | as a seperator for the movies.  This would be of great help.... Maybe apply a * at the end of the file ID or a * at the beginning of the movie name but have the * null-and-void when organizing movies into alphabetical order.  (a * at the end of the file ID would be of no use, if the Classic Tabs skin was used, for the ID is not displayed to the end user).

Using the RELEASE information is probably your best bet.  This is displayed in the title list, but isn't sorted on (unless you choose to sort / group on the RELEASE).  AFAIK it isn't updated by any plug-ins, so it's 'safe' to use as a custom field.

Example:  When I have a movie that I want a better copy of, I use the release to indicate this (NBC).  It's very convenient when searching out movies.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 05:38:44 pm by mgpw4me@yahoo.com »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 06:10:52 pm »
Is there any way possible to use something like pvd_setup.exe as link to the download for pvd, but when downloading this file besides manually always having to edit the file name of download to incorperate the version of this particular setup for your system to automatically tag version info. to the setup file?

This would have been handy in the past, but now that there's an automatic update system, it doesn't seem necessary.

When the setup file is run, there is nothing upon starting the file that lets us know what version of the app this setup is for.  Can someone please make a slight adjustment to the setup file that when executed will tell the user what version it is they are about to install?

If you've just downloaded the file, you know what version it is. If you want to keep it for possible future use, you can rename it to include the version.

I see links to download new updates to plugins/skins/web pages but I see no link to Prior versions of PVD.

Yes, there should be a way to get the last several releases. Maybe links could be provided in the change logs. That way, selecting a download would have to be very deliberate. To put this in perspective, however, my experience is the need to regress to a prior version is extremely rare. Whenever there has been a significant bug in a release, a fix has been posted very quickly. A prudent user will maintain a backup of their installation anyway (unlike most other programs, this can be done by simply making an archive of the installation directory). Then, it's very easy to revert to the previous version—with any customization fully intact.

Is there any way at all you can make some slight change to PVD that will signify to the end user that the movie listed in the database actually has a playlist to run from where there is more than one movie under the same heading, besides always having to check the file info./file path for | as a seperator for the movies.  This would be of great help...

Why? ???

Offline leogets

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 06:25:47 pm »
mgpw4me@yahoo.com not too sure what you mean about using RELEASE or how to go about doing it. such as configure a custom field for RELEASE info. to signify to the end user automatically after scanning that this\these particular movie(s) either has more than 1 version of the movie, or will run from a playlist.  I already have 1 custom field made up for IMDB Votes for both the PVD Classic and PVD Classic Tabs skins.

Would you mind please explaining a bit more in detail as to how to accomplish this?

rick.ca I would like it and so would some other end users like it if there was a simple way to signify to the end user that under this particular title heading there is more than 1 cut of the movie.  This way if they don't like the first one that is playing, they go right to the end of movie, let it play out and the second cut of the movie will kick in.  Some movies (.avi/.mkv) are ripped in different resolutions. I normally keep cuts that are 640 x X and 720 x X the 640 cuts look good on t.v's that are 36" wide screen and smaller but on a 50" wide screen when they get stretched/expanded so much they look too pixelated.  Thats where the 720 cut usually looks a little better on a 50" wide screen t.v.   

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:51:35 pm »
In whatever skin you use, find the RELEASE field and enter a value to signify what you want (* or a number for # of files).  You'll have to be in EDIT MODE to see the release field if it doesn't currently have a value...

I also use this to indicate featurettes that are on a particular dvd, or when I have multiple versions of a movie (Lisa & the Devil comes to mind).

When you're done, you'll have a title list that looks something like:
title (year) release_info
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:17:27 pm by mgpw4me@yahoo.com »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:39:45 pm »
would like it and so would some other end users like it if there was a simple way to signify to the end user that under this particular title heading there is more than 1 cut of the movie.

I think you'll have to use a custom field (e.g., a "Multiple versions" flag) or Release, as mgpw4me suggests. The program has no way of knowing whether multiple files are different versions or multiple parts.

anything