Author Topic: Custom Filter.  (Read 5250 times)

Offline bonek

• View Profile
Custom Filter.
« on: April 12, 2010, 03:02:29 am »
Hi, this program is very good, kudos to the programmers.

Please make custom filters available in this program.
So that I can create my own filter.
Sometimes I want to sort out which movies that can be safely watched by teenagers, especially there are PG-13 movies which have sexual contents.

Thank you for the programmers, this is certainly the best movie database software I've ever seen.
Make this software better than ever!  ;)
Thanks for reading.  :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Filter.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:00:07 am »
Welcome, bonek.

Note that each of the existing filters is based on a particular attribute the program can ascertain. Adding another filter would not be a simple change, so this is unlikely to happen soon. And if it is to be done at all, it should probably be something more than one just based on a specified flag (like Wish). My hope is that someday we'll be able to save Advanced searches. When that feature is available, it would be wonderful if a new filter could be based on one of those saved searches. Then you would be able to devise a complex search to identify the movies you don't want your kids watching, and filter them out.

In the meantime, consider using the loan filter to hide movies you don't want displayed—for whatever reason. Just select all the movies in question (you might use Advanced search to do this), and then "loan" them. Enter a borrower's name that describes why they are being tagged for hiding. You will then be able to use a simple search of Borrower to see what movies are in each of these categories. I make good use of this technique to hide concerts, documentaries and shorts—so my list is restricted to movies.

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:56:57 am »
Given that the files exist on your computer (?) you won't be able to restrict access by using PVD.

User accounts (in the windows control panel) will give you the control you want.  Set up an account for your kids, then move any 'do not view movies' into a folder by themselves.  Set the file PERMISSIONS (right-click your mouse on the folder) so you have access from your account, but there is no access from your kids account.  Be sure to test you've done it correctly.

I assume you already have such an account for internet access, so this should be fairly easy to do.  If you don't, then do it...there are some very good options in the USER ACCOUNTS section of the CONTROL PANEL (from the START button).

NOTE:  The LOANED movies section allows you via the TOOLS -> PREFERENCES -> APPEARANCES to color code the movies in the selection list...make the loaned movies red and you'll know at a glance what movies you don't want them to watch.

Offline bonek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:52:58 pm »
Thanks for the welcome rick.ca.  :)
Using the loan filter is a marvelous idea!
That's what I've been kind of searching for!
Thank you so much.

Thanks mgpw4me@yahoo.com for your thoughtful tips, I really appreciate it. :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:56:13 pm by bonek »