Author Topic: Being Able To Edit Each Season Info Instead of Entire Series  (Read 8406 times)

Offline TBach1979

• View Profile
Being Able To Edit Each Season Info Instead of Entire Series
« on: April 19, 2010, 06:28:43 pm »
Is there a way you can add season info for each season of a series instead of the complete series?  There is just a blank page for each season.  Would be great if you could add.  Thanks

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Being Able To Edit Each Season Info Instead of Entire Series
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 06:37:47 pm »
Welcome, TBach.

No, not presently. This has been requested before, but there has been little comment on exactly what should go there. There could be some sort of synopsis for the season, but I don't know where the data would come from. It could include the credits of only those involved in that season, but that's probably complicated and may not be feasible. Any ideas?

Offline TBach1979

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 06:45:31 pm »
I was wondering if it could be a standard record like every other record that is used for movies or the entire season.  So that you can have the cover for that season in the poster and all the main info for that season.  It doesn't have to be automaticly filled in by a new search for the entire series it could be blank and the user could find all the information on their own and put in the information like the actors, duration of entire season, etc.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:36:50 pm »
Adding a whole set of unique fields at the season level is too much. And, of course, for many of them, a unique value for the season should not be permitted. It would be fine to allow some of the regular fields to be displayed there, and maybe others could summarize what's in the episode records. Otherwise, unique season records should be restricted to those that are/must be unique—poster, description (for a season synopsis), comments...I'm not sure how long that list should be. For example, is it necessary to be able to rate a season?

Offline TBach1979

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:45:31 pm »
It is not unique fields it is all the same fields that are used for every movie.

buah

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 07:47:13 pm »
It doesn't have to be automatically filled in by a new search for the entire series it could be blank and the user could find all the information on their own and put in the information like the actors, duration of entire season, etc.
I agree. Very often, when clicking on a season and getting a blank page in a right frame, in a split second I get a glance:"Geez, something went wrong, no data!"

And as the years go passing by, my heart ain't getting stronger... ;)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:57:50 pm »
It is not unique fields it is all the same fields that are used for every movie.

They have to be "unique" if you expect to be able to record information in them. Yes, I understand all the fields in the database could be duplicated for seasons, but that's not practical—for the reasons I stated.

buah

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:26:22 pm »
Otherwise, unique season records should be restricted to those that are/must be unique—poster, description (for a season synopsis), comments...

It sounds reasonable. It should be identified and defined somehow visually.

For example, is it necessary to be able to rate a season?

Definitely! I hate all second half sitcom seasons. They all become Macbeth, Hamlet, Mar Adentro, almost ancient Greek tragedies. ;D

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 11:36:44 pm »
Actually, I thought of smth like "combined details" on IMDB with a possibility to edit fields settings the values for all episodes in a season, so there will be no need to add an extra record to the database...
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 12:13:59 am »
I think the minimum that should be provided are the small number of fields for information unique to each season—poster, synopsis, comments and (maybe) rating. All these would be entered manually and would not be searchable, sortable or groupable. If anything beyond that is to be considered, it should probably be calculated fields. Some might simply be equal to a corresponding series field (e.g., Genre), some would be the range that exists in the episodes (e.g., Release date and Year), an average (e.g., rating) or an aggregation (e.g., credits). These have the advantages of not requiring any maintenance, being informative in their own right, and not making the database more complicated by introducing more relations.

Actually, I thought of smth like "combined details" on IMDB with a possibility to edit fields settings the values for all episodes in a season, so there will be no need to add an extra record to the database.

This sounds very much like the second part of my suggestion, although I'm not sure what you mean by "with a possibility to edit fields settings..." And I think the first part is important—at least the ability to add a poster and some kind of unique description.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:38:55 am by rick.ca »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 01:13:09 am »
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean: most of the data is gathered from the episodes and a couple of fields can be defined for the series itself.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

anything