Author Topic: Custom Fields  (Read 4600 times)

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

Custom Fields
« on: April 21, 2010, 03:10:55 am »
Just wanted to make sure that interest in custom fields for PEOPLE and IMAGES (screenshots / people) was properly represented.

count = 1, so far

Why so?  

For people:
I'd like to store the sex of the actor / actress ("yes please"  ;D)
have metaphones for names (to find 'similar but not exactly the same' names)

For images (people / screenshots /fan art):
histograms would help determine what images I have, and whether a better quality image was available...scripting changes not withstanding
tags (ie. movie & person name)

Using metaphones in the search criteria would also be very nice.  PHP also has a function that determines how many transitions would be necessary to convert one string into another.  If a metaphone (ie. MGPW4ME = MGPWM) were used in conjunction with the number of transitions between MGPW4ME and MGPWM, in an SQL search, then a 'did you mean this....' (think google) option would be possible would be possible for anyone using the 'right' language.  I'm sure a multi-lingual approach is possible, but would prefer to leave that to people who have the specific language knowledge to make it a reality.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:38:26 am by mgpw4me@yahoo.com »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Fields
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 03:34:25 am »
I can't represent my interest properly when I'm not sure what the suggestion is... :-\

By "custom fields for PEOPLE," I suppose you mean the ability to add any number/type of custom field—as we can now for MOVIES.

For images, are you suggesting a screen shot container—as we have now for MOVIES? If so, do you mean something integrated with the screen shot maker, or just a container? And is even that necessary, considering screen shots can be saved as "photos"?

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 03:52:59 am »
The suggestion is that more information be available when images or people are added to the database.

Yes, I'd like to be able to have 'people' information configurable as movies can be.  Nothing new here...I just want to ensure that at least 'someone' expresses interest in this.

I'd like to be able to relate images in regards to people AND movies, by an event (red carpet) or by a photoshoot. 

More importantly, I'd like to know what images I have, and given the resolution I want, whether a better image was available.  In this regard, knowing the size of an image (dimensions) and the histogram (image "a" = image "b"), I'd have a good idea of whether a 'better' image was available.  Currently, there is no way to use this information, but I am very close to having an external script that would make this reasonable.

My motive isn't to move processing outside of PVD, but rather, to keep as much as possible within it.  Someday when Nostra has nothing but free time, he could look at improving the process I'll provide (via PHP and HTA).

The way I consider it, Nostra is but a single person with finite time to work on PVD.  If I can provide an outline (in whatever programming language), then he will have a better idea of how he wishes to procede.  Not much different from us bantering back and forth about the 'pie in the sky' improvements we'd (personally) like to see.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:18:09 am »
For myself, I'd have to say my interest in people doesn't run too deep. I'm most interested in their relations to movies. I want basic factual information, but don't have much interest in lengthy biographies. My first priority with images is to get a head shot of reasonable quality. I want the photos to look good in the information card, but the primary purpose is identification. So I can't say I feel a compelling need for changes.

I am, however, in favour of custom fields and an image container. In general, I like the idea of users being able to record whatever they want. It makes the program more "open." And that increases the potential for users coming up with new ideas for people information, increased interest in developing scripts, etc. And I guess this is, in part, what you have in mind. You (and people like you) would be able to contribute "addons" in the form of scripts, PHP, HTA, whatever—if only there was some place to put additional data.

But providing for custom fields is a major change, and AFAIK it's not even on the map for 1.x. There's not much room left in the existing structure. You can still add images as photos. You've already found a use for Transname. What's left? I suppose you could create a super-cool photo-filmography-galleries in external HTML files, and put links to them in Comments. Would that keep you busy until nostra the necessary changes? ;)

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:31:34 am »
It's much more likely I'd move data from PVD (ie. store image file externally), where I could manipulate the names to include info I want...or add EXIF data that could be used by Windows Explorer (ie. in tags).  Push comes to shove, it may be easier to export PVD to a format I want than put up with limitations that are a low priority for most (?) users.  It's hard to tell what people really want when they don't provide any input...I feel for Nostra in that regard...though if I were him, I'd be building PVD "for me" and disregarding the rest.

In short, I suggest what I do as a possible way for PVD to move.  If it doesn't happen that way, no problem, I'll roll my own interface...I'm most of the way there anyway.

anything