Author Topic: Amazon.* Greasemonkey scripts for large covers  (Read 11003 times)

Offline Hyomil

• User
    • View Profile
Amazon.* Greasemonkey scripts for large covers
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:19:24 am »
2 scripts:

1.  AmazonImageSizeChanger

Displays larger image on Amazon product page so you don't have to click on Zoom.

2.  amazon popup image script (also in the form of an addon here, which I prefer since it checks for updates)

Displays larger covers on Amazon search results page.  First of all, I like using the Amazon web page better than the preview box in PVD, which displays thumbnails at lower quality (and yet still slower) than they're displayed on the web site, for some reason I don't understand.  With this script, you can see the larger size just by hovering the mouse over the thumbnail.  If you want the poster, you can drag it and it will open in a new pop-up window where you can save it.  The best part is that it opens the large size image (if there is one), not the regular size you get from using the 'View Image' command in Firefox.  Here's an example DVD that has a 899x1280 poster I was able to save with this script:

http://www.amazon.com/Kirenji-Combat-School-Shiuya-Yoshimoto/dp/B0030BOCHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272966842&sr=8-1

You only get a 351x500 image if you use 'View Image' or PVD's Amazon plugin.

Also note that the large image opens in a pop-up window, so, if you're running a pop-up blocker, you'll need to add an exception to it for each country's version of the site that you use: www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.ca
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:26:24 am by Hyomil »

buah

Re: Amazon.* Greasemonkey scripts for large covers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:53:40 am »
After clicking on a link, I'm getting 404 error:

Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

Go to Amazon.com's Home Page

Maybe this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Kirenji-Combat-School-Shiuya-Yoshimoto/dp/B0030BOCHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272966842&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:55:11 am by buah »

Offline Hyomil

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 01:04:02 pm »
Yes, that's the one.  Link in orginal post corrected.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:37:24 pm »
I'm still only able to get a 351x500 poster. ???

Offline Hyomil

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:12:33 am »
I'm still only able to get a 351x500 poster. ???

Try opening the large-size cover by dragging the image from the search results page, which, for this DVD, would be:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=Kirenji+Girls+Combat+School&x=0&y=0

There was a time when I could only get the script to work on the search results page and not the product page itself, although I can do both now that I've switched from the Greasemonkey script to the addon.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:25:03 am by Hyomil »

buah

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:01:24 am »
I got pop-up, than dragged the thumbnail, but got nothing? Still pop-up and dragged thumbnail.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hyomil

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 02:24:06 am »
I got pop-up, than dragged the thumbnail, but got nothing? Still pop-up and dragged thumbnail.

Are you running any kind of pop-up blocker?  The large-size image opens in a new tab/window, so I had to add an exception to Firefox's own pop-up blocker (Options > Content > Block pop-up windows > Exceptions) for www.amazon.com to get it to open.  And you'll have to do the same for every country's version of Amazon you use (ex.  www.amazon.de, www.amazon.fr); adding www.amazon.* won't work there.  Did you get the "Firefox prevented this site from opening a pop-up window" message in the yellow bar at the top of the search results page?  I got that even though dragging the image opened the product page in a new tab; I just had to go back to the search results tab to see it.

buah

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 06:31:46 am »
Yes, that was the problem. Thank you!

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 02:06:52 pm »

Very nice, thanks for the script.

anything