Author Topic: Click on a person link in movie view doesn't do what is expected  (Read 5164 times)

buah

The first thing I ever do when enter to PVD is switching to People view, and then enter anything like "Tewr@$^%" in Search bar. This helps me later to faster switch between views.

How to reproduce the problem:

1. Start PVD in People view, or switch to it.
2. When in People view, type in Search bar John Hurt, for instance. You'll get zero to some results.
3. Do nothing, just switch back to Movie view.
4. Choose any movie.
5. Click on a director's name link, for instance. What is expected is to be automatically switched to directors record in People view.

But, the Search bar isn't automatically purged upon clicking on a director's link in Movie view, so switching won't work. The result will be:

6. In the search bar still there will be John Hurt typed, and you'll still have John Hurt results in left pane.

Nostra, if you consider to manage this issue, please keep on mind that when some name is once entered in Search bar, switching between views using "Switch to Movies/Person" button is much faster and easier, and purging the Search by switching this way isn't desirable at all.

If it's possible to manage to purge Search bar in People view only upon clicking on a name link in Movie view, AND/OR to fill Search bar with that name, that would be perfect.

If it's impossible to manage to purge Search bar in People view upon clicking on a name link in Movie view, AND/OR to fill Search bar with that name, I wouldn't change anything.

Thank you.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Click on a person link in movie view doesn't do what is expected
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:22:49 pm »
If it's possible to manage to purge Search bar in People view only upon clicking on a name link in Movie view, AND/OR to fill Search bar with that name, that would be perfect.

I agree. It sound pretty logical and will be added to my TODO list.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

buah

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:35:49 pm »
Thank you.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:48:01 am »
What's equally annoying—and certainly more common—is a link failing because of grouping and filter settings at the destination. This is not so easy to deal with, but the situation could be improved. One way to ensure all links work is to clear all grouping, filters and search boxes at the destination. Personally, I would find this behaviour acceptable for links to people. As it is, I no longer use grouping in People View because leaving it on ensures links will fail.

Going the other way is a different story. I find it interesting that having the movie list grouped does not prevent links from filmographies from working. Unlike groups in People View, movie groups seem to expand to allow the target movie to be selected. That leaves filters. Clearing filters so a link will work would be as annoying as the link not working. For targets not visible due to current filter settings, would it be possible to implement the same behaviour as when a new movie is added? That is, the movie would appear at the top of the list, and be selected. Any refresh would result in it being filtered. 8)

Oh, but wait! How could I forget? A People Pane or Popup is already on the 0.9.9 TODO list. With that, there would be no need to change views. But I suppose that idea won't work very well if the links don't work. ;)

anything