Author Topic: Manuals  (Read 6898 times)

buah

Manuals
« on: May 08, 2010, 01:57:33 am »
The topic about manuals is locked, so I had to ask (to suggest) following in a separate one.

I don't know anything about xml, but I'm trying to make a skin, so I use PVD Skin Engine Manual a lot. It's a resource of a great help, indeed. Especially for us newbies.

What I found it might be helpful was to indicate default values, so it would be easier to decide whether or not to implement particular functions. Xml file also would be of a smaller size, without unnecessary (duplicated) data.

I apologize if I didn't understand that there weren't default values, and that it wasn't the way how things work.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Manuals
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 10:41:33 pm »
In the extremely rare case a programmer produces documentation, I'm not sure it's appropriate to comment. But since you've opened the door, some suggestions for the Export Templates Manual...

It would be helpful if the parameters in the Field Values tables were linked to the Field Parameters table. It's right below (duh!), but I forget and find myself staring blankly at a parameter like "custom"—thinking I'm supposed to know what that means (and never remembering "set to true if you want to retrieve a custom field value"). :-[

There should be a link to manual on the Templates for Plain Text Export window in the program. Not only would that be useful, it would reinforce the idea the templates provided are just examples and are meant to be modified.
inhelp
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:30:03 am by rick.ca »

buah

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:49:28 pm »
I believe that in PVD Skin Engine Manual Front Cover field is accidentally defined as <frontcover> instead <froncover>?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »
What I found it might be helpful was to indicate default values, so it would be easier to decide whether or not to implement particular functions.

I'll check the manual for places where default values can/should be documented.

It would be helpful if the parameters in the Field Values tables were linked to the Field Parameters table. It's right below (duh!), but I forget and find myself staring blankly at a parameter like "custom"—thinking I'm supposed to know what that means (and never remembering "set to true if you want to retrieve a custom field value"). Embarrassed

So where exactly you want this link to be placed?

There should be a link to manual on the Templates for Plain Text Export window in the program. Not only would that be useful, it would reinforce the idea the templates provided are just examples and are meant to be modified.

OK, why not

I believe that in PVD Skin Engine Manual Front Cover field is accidentally defined as <frontcover> instead <froncover>?

Thx, I'll fix this

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:48:14 pm by nostra »
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 06:14:16 pm »
So were exactly you want this link to be placed?

I think linking the column headings ("Parameters") would provide a sufficient indication the values in the column are explained elsewhere.
inhelp
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:19:28 am by rick.ca »

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:56:34 am »
What I found it might be helpful was to indicate default values, so it would be easier to decide whether or not to implement particular functions.

I'll check the manual for places where default values can/should be documented.

Any thoughts on this, yet?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 06:45:58 pm »
Had no time for this yet :|
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline afrocuban

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 08:33:54 pm »
It's worthy enough to wait. Thanks!

In the meantime, would you please consider to answer to this?