Author Topic: Repeat last search  (Read 5313 times)

Offline Hyomil

• User
    • View Profile
Repeat last search
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:00:08 am »
One problem I often run into occurs when I

1. do a search in movie view,
2. select one of the search results,
3. click on an actor's name to go to people view,
4. click on a different movie by that actor to look at it in movie view.

PVD switches back to movie view, but the search is still applied, so I can't look at the movie I clicked on.  I have to remove the search, go back to people view, and click on the movie again.  This could be changed in 4 ways:

1. In movie view, once the user manually removes the search, the movie that was clicked on in people view gets selected.
2. An option is added so that, if the user CTRL+clicks (or ALT+clicks) on a movie in people view, the search in movie view is removed and the movie that was clicked on in people view is selected.
3. The search in movie view is removed automatically and the movie that was clicked on in people view is selected.  This would be feasible if two other features were implemented:

a) Repeat Search, like using the F3 key in your web browser to search for the same thing you last searched for.  Even better would be if the search box was a drop-down box where you could select your previous searches like you can your previous web site URLs in your web browser.
b) Select Previous Selected Movie, like the Back button in web browsers.

4. [suggested by rick.ca] The active search in movie view is maintained, but the movie that was clicked on in people view is displayed at the top of the list of search results in the same way a new movie added while a search was active would be.  

This may be the best of all because if there were the Select Previous Selected Movie feature, you could just click that and resume going through the results of your initial search after you were done examining the movie at the top.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 10:54:45 am by Hyomil »

buah

Re: Repeat last search
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 09:08:46 am »
It looks to me that it is pretty much the same issue we discussed there?

Offline Hyomil

• User
    • View Profile
Re: Repeat last search
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:52:07 am »
It looks to me that it is pretty much the same issue we discussed there?

Thanks for the link.  I added rick.ca's possible solution as #4 on the list.  I knew the back button was already on the To-Do list but I see nostra is aware of the the rest as well.  It was mostly the ability to quickly repeat the last search with a single hotkey I was building a case for, as I could only find suggestions for the ability to save searches (that would be nice too).  I'll sometimes be in the middle of going through search results and, after the above procedure, forget a) what my last search was and b) which movie I was on.  rick.ca's suggestion looks the best now.