Author Topic: Problem quitting program  (Read 3892 times)

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Problem quitting program
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:13:18 pm »
Hi,

Sometimes, I find that when I close PVD, it doesn't really quit. The window and tray icon both disappear, but the process is still in memory (as shown in Windows' Task Manager). And the process has the database file open/locked, so that the next time I launch PVD, it throws up errors about not being able to open the database.

(note: I usually put my PC into hibernate when I'm not using it, so it never shuts down, and the leftover process remains in memory. No doubt an actual full shutdown would clear the condition.)

If I use Task Manager to end the PVD process, then re-launch it, I'm able to open the file successfully. But I'm always worried it might get corrupted one of these days. (I do make backups of my 500+MB database fairly often, but I'd hate to lose my work since the last backup.)

This failure to quit happens maybe one out of ten uses of the program, give or take. I'm running 0.9.9.21 on a fully-patched Windows XP SP3 system, Athlon XP processor, 2GB RAM.

Could nostra look into this, please? I'll try to remember to run PVD in -debug mode for awhile, and see if I log any error messages that might point to a cause.

Thanks,
Aimhere

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Problem quitting program
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:59:31 pm »
How long does the application stays open before you can't fully close it?
What are you doing before closing it?
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

anything