Author Topic: Left menu: Title format  (Read 4246 times)

Offline ouafouaf

• View Profile
Left menu: Title format
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:21:29 am »
Hello ! I've been around quite a few times already to ask for help tweaking my PVD :p

On the left menu, that's how i configured the film title display: %O (%T) (%Y)
The translated title is for me the French title (since, you guessed it right, Im French).
Problem is, sometimes there is no French title. Actually, pretty often. And of course, I let the field empty for French films.
So, in the left menu, I have a lot of empty "()":
Film's Name () (2008)

So, I wonder if there is a command for conditional display. Like adding some special character that would tell the program to display only if the field is not empty (something like [%T], i don't know).
I guess it's not featured yet, I would love it if you could add it to the todo list !

Thanks a lot

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Left menu: Title format
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:31:05 am »
It seems you're not using the title fields the way they're intended to be used. Title should be the name by which you are most comfortable referring to the movie—usually the name of the movie in your native language. This field is mandatory, and would normally be set to the appropriate value when the record is added, or after data has been downloaded. Original title should be...the original title. Setting a plugin to overwrite this field ensures it is always set to the correct value. In other words, both fields are always filled. When they are the same, only the Title is displayed in the movie panel.

Unfortunately, there are no conditional commands for the list format, so anything like %T (%Y) %O is going to seem redundant if for most entries the values are identical. You might find it tempting to use a format like this (i.e., where %O is not enclosed in "()") and delete Original title when it's the same as Title. This is not a good idea, however, as it's Original title that used in Web searches.

My way of dealing with this is to use the name I naturally know the movie by for Title. That's normally English, but is sometimes the original foreign language title. I'm then happy with a list of simply %T (%Y)—because Title is what I know the movie by anyway. And Original title is prominently displayed in my skin—and quite obvious because it only appears when it's not the same as Title.

buah

Re: Left menu: Title format
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:57:02 am »
Serbian experience say that people here are often confused when talking about a movie which title is translated into Serbian, even when translated titles are more appropriate then the original one (yes, it happens). So, in every day's life, more and more people use English titles for all non-Serbian movies.

According to this, I also use English titles to fill Title field