Author Topic: IMDb User Comments issue  (Read 7635 times)

buah

IMDb User Comments issue
« on: May 23, 2010, 08:41:18 pm »
If the first line of the comment is

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

plugin will import only this line, but not the comment itself. Is it possible to bypass such things, not only spoilers, but any type of warnings I can't recall them right now?

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:07:04 pm by buah »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: IMDb User Comments issue
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:41:00 am »
Could you provide some links to such movies as I could not find any with spoilers.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

buah

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 01:57:45 am »
OFAH S01 E01

That one I remembered. It doesn't matter it's an episode, the manner is the same.

Thank you, for you didn't forget this.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:56:19 am by buah »

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 02:52:38 am »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1444382/ also has spoilers...always good to have a couple of things to compare.

Full text returned:
<b>*** This review may contain spoilers ***</b>

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 02:53:56 am »
No problem. Fixed
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 03:01:58 am »
No problem. Fixed

You're too fast for me. Oh, well, I'll post my musings anyway...

Here's one you can related to: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0515253/

Some background may help. This is added by the reviewer by checking a box...

If you write a spoiler without warning readers, your name will be added to a blacklist and all your future reviews will be discarded automatically and unread. See the guidelines for more information.

...so maybe the plugin is not getting the review because this warning is enclosed in tags that stop it from going further. Whatever the case, I suppose you can expect it to be perfectly consistent wherever it exists.

I imagine amateur reviewers are likely to check the box to be "better safe than sorry," and it does seem to be common. They're easy to find on the user reviews page—where there number can be determined by selecting the "hide spoilers" button. For movies, the warning appears to be used on about 10 - 20% of the reviews. It seems very rare for the main page user review for a movie, however, so it probably disqualifies the review for selection. They seem much more common for episodes, so maybe they're not disqualified for episodes, or they're the only ones available.

Personally, I think the best solution to this is to skip these reviews. Professional reviewers do not include spoilers. If there are no reviews without spoilers—and it seems this is the only reason one of these would be on the main page—I'd rather not waste my time with an amateurish one that does.

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 03:20:22 am »
If you only look at professional reviewers, you'll miss gems of wit...

And hey… it's only 54 minutes!
(from "the beast of yucca flats"...1 star)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 05:23:18 am »
If you only look at professional reviewers, you'll miss gems of wit...

Maybe I should have used a term like "literate" rather than "professional." The review you refer to isn't bad, but it's lost in a sea of crap. And there are reviews of such movies that are much more interesting to read. Many people love bad movies, and writing an review of one that's worth reading is a special challenge. It can be interesting to read someone's take on what it is about a movie that makes it so bad it's funny or charming. Thanks the Internet and countless serious amateur reviewers, it's not difficult to find reviews more worthwhile reading. Even The Beast of Yucca Flats has a list of 29 external reviews. Picking one from there, I ended up at The B-Masters Cabal, which looks like a great place to find good reviews of crappy movies.

So prefer this kind of informative wit—found using MRQE...

...So what you have here is a movie which, from the opening scene in which a woman in a towel is strangled to the last shot of a dying Tor Johnson fondling a bunny, does nothing but make you aware of the slow march of time which turns this hour-long movie into eternal boredom. I'm afraid Tor was better off with Ed Wood.*
Dave Sindelar

* Tor Johnson was also in Ed Wood's masterpiece Plan 9 from Outer Space. But I suppose any good PVD user would know that. ;)

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 06:05:59 am »
Well, now I'm glad I brought it up...you never know what you can learn with an innocent poke in space   ;D

Now that I think of it, picking a review isn't much different from picking a 'favorite' picture of a particular cast member, with much the same outcome...it's only 'your' favorite, not necessarily any one else's.

Care to guess at the length of Tor's neck?  He looks like a wrestler <grin>.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:47:57 am by mgpw4me@yahoo.com »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 08:49:42 am »
When he appeared on the Groucho Marx show You Bet Your Life (1950) he revealed his weight was 387 pounds, and his hips were 60", waist 54", chest 62", biceps 22", neck 20".

buah

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:55:56 am »
Now I learned why the woman in towel was strangled, and not Tor.

Tnx nostra, you were really fast!

anything