Author Topic: Problem adding TV episodes - v0.9.9.21  (Read 5350 times)

Offline trumpy81

• User
    • View Profile
Problem adding TV episodes - v0.9.9.21
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:03:15 pm »
GDay All,

I have a problem when adding TV shows and their various episodes. On at least two occasions my list of episodes have simply vanished and yes I checked the 'view menu' and all settings there were set to show all listings.

The movie total also decreased accordingly, almost as if I had deleted the list, but I can assure you that I did no such thing!

This happened while I was editing an episode!! :(

On one other occasion all my carefully added and properly titled episodes were replaced by a 'fresh' non updated list with only the standard list titles (EG: #1.1) and no episode data etc.

Very disconcerting indeed!!

For now, I have resorted to manually adding the list of episodes using the context menu item 'add episode' and so far this method has proven to be fairly reliable, but very time consuming especially since I have 11 seasons of M*A*S*H to add!!

Also, when adding episodes manually, I often get a regular movie listing along with the episode listing. This happens whenever I add imdb information to an episode. It would appear that it is fetching the information twice or from two different sources and then placing the data from each source into a seperate listing.

---

Another problem I noticed is that when adding the video file address manually (using the file browse dialog), the media type is not always set correctly, and this leads to some very strange behaviour of the file text box.

The file address appears to be truncated, only showing part of the address, and when you delete the visible part of the address, another part of the address appears. I needed to do that three times before the address was gone and before I noticed the incorrect number being in the media type box.

Replacing the media type number to the correct '1' for a HDD listing, restored the file address box to its correct behaviour.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate OEM 32bit on an i7 920/Asus P6T Deluxe board (3GB Mem) with dual Asus VW222U Monitors connected to 2 Asus/ATI HD4870 Video cards in crossfire mode and PVD v0.9.9.21 with the default Classic Skin.

This is the first time I have tried PVD and so far, I like it very much!!  ;D
Regards
Andy M

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Problem adding TV episodes - v0.9.9.21
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 06:02:15 am »
Welcome, Andy.

I'm not sure how you're finding such trouble, but it seems you're not doing things in the best order. For adding a series, try this...

1. Add the series record. Include the URL, to be sure the plugin gets the right data (e.g., http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068098/ for M*A*S*H).

2. Import the series. If configured properly, the plugin should fill the series record, and add 11 seasons of episodes, with a title, URL, year and release date for each episode. (I just did this for M*A*S*H—it took 30 seconds.)

3. Or do 4 first, if you prefer. To add additional episode details, select the episodes to update (the most you can select is one season) and run the plugin again. You might want to change the plugin configuration for episodes. Getting all actors for all episodes, for example, is a little redundant.

4. Run the scanner to add whatever media you have to these records. If the scanner is configured properly and your filenames are reasonably consistent, it should have no problem matching your files to the episode records.

Another problem I noticed is that when adding the video file address manually (using the file browse dialog), the media type is not always set correctly, and this leads to some very strange behaviour of the file text box.

The edit mode behaviour of the File path field is strange—particularly when the entire path does not fit in view. I don't know why, but I doubt it has anything to do with the Media Type field.

Offline trumpy81

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 09:33:42 pm »
GDay All,

Thanks for the welcome Rick.  ;D

I tried as you suggested using a new database and indeed the listing for MASH did appear with all 11 seasons and properly labelled episodes, but when I tried to import the file list into the database I got another listing for MASH with only the first season listed and no episode names showing. No Year, Name, Url etc. listed for each episode.

Each episode had several file addresses seperated by the | character, meaning multiple files for each episode, which obviously is incorrect.

The original listing remained untouched.

I do believe my filenames are consistant, EG:  M.A.S.H - s01 - e01 - The Pilot.mp4,   M.A.S.H - s01 - e02 - To Market, To Market.mp4, etc.....

I also get the same results when trying to add the House MD series as well, hence my resorting to manually adding them one at a time.

---

I did a little experimenting with the Media Type problem.

It works like this:
If the file address field contains a single file address, EG:  C:\M.A.S.H - s01 - e01 - The Pilot.mp4, and the Media Type number box contains a 2 or higher, then the file address field will truncate(fold?) the file address 2 times. If the Media Type number box contains a 3, it will truncate (or divide) the file address 3 times and so on.

This behaviour is because the Media Type number box is expecting that number of file addresses seperated by the | character to be present in the file address field.

When the | character is NOT present it is dividing the file address into x number of parts. Clearly incorrect behaviour.

EG:
Media Type number box contains a 3
File address field should contain - C:\filename.mp4|C:\filename.mp4|C:\filename.mp4

If the file address field contains only one address then that address is divided like so: 'C:\fi' (visible)  'lenam' (not visible)  'e.mp4' (not visible)

Media Type number box contains a 2
File address field should contain - C:\filename.mp4|C:\filename.mp4

If the file address field contains only one address then that address is divided like so: 'C:\filen' (visible)  'ame.mp4' (not visible)

I hope that is clear?

Regards
Andy M

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 10:26:34 pm »
I do believe my filenames are consistant, EG:  M.A.S.H - s01 - e01 - The Pilot.mp4,   M.A.S.H - s01 - e02 - To Market, To Market.mp4, etc...

So the problem is clearly with your scanner configuration. Yes, your filenames are consistent, but there's no regex in your configuration for recognizing that particular pattern. You need something like...

(?i)^.*\\(?P<title>.*).?-.?s(?P<season>[0-9]{1,3}).?-.?e(?P<episode>[0-9]{1,3}).?-.?(?P<eptitle>.*)\..{3,4}

...but please review other posts here about how to configure the scanner.

I hope that is clear?

Clear enough I'm convinced you're not making it up, but I'm unable to reproduce the fold/truncate/divide behaviour. I only see the media counter increment when a file is added. I don't see it affecting the file path field in any way. What I do see is the file path field in edit mode only being able to show a fixed number of characters. Instead of scrolling, it will show the next segment of how ever many characters it can show. So it works, but the contents can only be viewed and edited in "chunks," which is very confusing.

anything