Author Topic: Minor Suggestions  (Read 7837 times)

buah

Minor Suggestions
« on: May 09, 2010, 01:09:13 am »
1. To format "Votes", "Minutes", "File Size" and "Video Bitrate" as comma separated values, just like Budget and Box Office values are.

2. Expander (+) to be situated at the end of the last viewable line, instead at the end of the first line. It's handy because of continuity of reading. One moment, you reach the last word of the last viewable line, then you have to raise your eyes to expand, and when you expand the field, you loose your focus, you don't know any more where you've been at. And after expanding, even once last word in the last viewable line isn't last anymore. Likely it became the first word in the once first not viewable line.
I doubt it's possible to move expander there, considering the number of collapsed lines is adjustable, but like nostra once said:"Everything is possible".  8)

3. The same thing with "collapser" (-), only to be situated at the end of the last line.

Thanks for considering.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Minor Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:41:07 pm »
My TODO list is growing...
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

buah

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:28:51 pm »
Sorry, I forgot to tell you that these were suggestions for v2.9.9.21 ;)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 08:43:30 pm »
I am pretty sure that I will implement most of them in 1.0, but i got your point :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 06:10:12 am »
2. Expander (+) to be situated at the end of the last viewable line, instead at the end of the first line.

I would not be happy with this behaviour. If I'm expanding one field rather than all, it's likely I'll want to collapse it when I'm done. The way it is now, the control stays with the pointer. Yes, if the end of the expanded field extends off-screen and I scroll to the end while reading the contents, then having the control at the end might be a nice touch. But I rarely do that. If "continuity of reading" is important, I use the Expand All command, and scroll as I read. These controls are used far more often to expand and then collapse the field. Having to chase after the control after using is would be a PITA.

buah

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 06:33:20 am »
I see and I agree. This issue obviously depends on how we decide to read whole content. I always read viewable content, than decide if it is "worthy" to expand it. From this point of view came my suggestion.

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 04:56:29 pm »
So maybe the page should scroll automatically when the expander is clicked.  For long lists, like filmography or cast lists, the first line on the page would be the first line in the list, or the first previously non-viewable line.  I don't really have a preference, but have noted that expanding fields usually involves me scrolling to view the data.  One solution might be to scroll to the first line of the text, then have a marker on the first 'non-viewable' line...color change, graphic, space, line, whatever.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:38:07 pm »
One solution might be to scroll to the first line of the text, then have a marker on the first 'non-viewable' line...color change, graphic, space, line, whatever.

This idea I like. Do you have any idea how the marking might be implemented? Also, after a page-down, it would be nice if the the previous last visible line becomes the first visible line. This would help a lot with the continuity of reading a memo field where the break occurs mid-sentence.

Another possibility, instead of scrolling a full page, is to scroll only so the first line of the previously not-fully-visible field is at the top. The idea would be to scroll as soon as you get to a field not fully visible—and it would jump to the top of the screen. If such a field uses more than a screen, then the current behaviour would apply. I'm guessing it might be easier to detect and handle a whole field, rather than detect and mark a line within a field.

So maybe the page should scroll automatically when the expander is clicked.

I don't think so. For such a basic function, it should not be assumed, "if the user wants this, he must also want that." If I want to scroll, I'll scroll. If I expand a field, I may only be interested in that field and what follows, but I'm equally likely to want what appears above it to remain on screen. Again, these are meant for the one-at-a-time control of fields. If the continuity of reading the entire record is the issue, the sensible thing to do is expand all fields.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 12:41:29 pm »
A minor suggestion even if it is not really related to OP post

Further to locked thread
Is installing MSVCR71.dll into the pvd directory during installation as suggested by Microsoft still on the to-do list?

Perhaps adding it to the download page would be a start
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:49:30 pm by patch »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 07:40:42 pm »
A minor suggestion even if it is not really related to OP post

Further to locked thread
Is installing MSVCR71.dll into the pvd directory during installation as suggested by Microsoft still on the to-do list?

Perhaps adding it to the download page would be a start

OK, I'll change the installer for the next version.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:37:48 am »
 ;D

anything