Author Topic: Filter (or anything else) for duplicate movies  (Read 10254 times)

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
Filter (or anything else) for duplicate movies
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:48:12 am »
Hi again,

since I have some movies in different versions (e.g. theatrical, directors cut, BD, ...) I thought about a nice way to display multiple versions of one and the same movie like filtering for example. Actually - and because I have just forgotten to do this before importing all my movies - I want to add something like "DC" or "Theatrical Version" to the title without scrolling down the alpabetical list and identfy every duplicate that way.

Another very cool way would be to have a series like entry for the movie and sub-entries for the versions (although I think filtering or something like that could be easier to implement).

Furthermore, movie series could be arranged that way...

Thanks for replies or (especially) considering this Idea!

buah

Re: Filter (or anything else) for duplicate movies
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »
Please, consider using "strategy" I've been using: using field "Features" for desired purpose (see first two pictures in addition) and/or custom made fields (see other two pictures). Sorting entries by name and applying advanced search criteria you could have mentioned results.

Also, you could think about field "Release" for such a purpose.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:35:53 pm »
Thanks for your suggestion, buah. That's actually what I had in mind with a slightly altered strategy. I wanted to use the title field and simply add a prefix for the versions (DC, CUT, TVrec, ...) because I still fear - as far as I got the routines of pvd - that pvd may treat my duplicates as redundant entries some day if I accidently checked the "remove duplicates" while cleaning.

The remaining problem for me still is that I'm crying over spilt milk because I already have imported hundreds of movies with all my different version movies among them without any distinguishing entries... What I had in mind was a feature to list all duplicate movies to avoid scrolling down the list for duplicates...

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 06:41:10 pm »
I wanted to use the title field and simply add a prefix for the versions...

I think it would be better to add them as a suffix—so they don't affect sorting. At the same time, add the title alone (i.e., so it's the same for all versions) to a custom field (or use the otherwise unused release field). You can then group on that field to get what you're looking for.

buah

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:26:38 pm »
... and don't forget to uncheck option for overwriting Title field in whatever online import plugin you use.

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 09:05:56 am »
@ Rick: As always you're right. A prefix would be total nonsense...

And I came up with a new and very convenient solution: I use title formatting, somehow someone anticipated my needs and added the "release" field to the list... awesome...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:12:49 am by Melmoth »

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 03:17:21 am »
I wanted to use the title field and simply add a prefix for the versions...

I think it would be better to add them as a suffix—so they don't affect sorting. At the same time, add the title alone

Yep
I currently add a suffix to my duplicate movies ("(HD)" added to all high definition movies).
And yes I have a field with the title unmodified:- "Original Title" seams a logical place for this.

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
  • I've got my eye on you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 01:16:20 pm »
Could you use the quality field,  Media Label or features fields.
Perhaps modify the skin you are using to make them more prominent.

Perhaps Nostra can make more than one field unique to allow for multiple titles. Like a "unique checkbox" that stops record being deleted by database clean.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:23:39 pm by CAD »
three fingered salutation

buah

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 03:04:14 pm »
I use two custom field checkboxes (third and forth picture above).
One field is "Duplicate to list" - meaning "this duplicate is to be manipulated with"
The other field is "Duplicate" - meaning "this duplicate isn't to be manipulated with"

Any movie duplicate mustn't have both checkboxes checked, but must have one chekbox checked. That's how I know if movie is duplicate, but still can get unique query results.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 11:48:30 am »
Could you use the quality field,  Media Label or features fields.
Perhaps modify the skin you are using to make them more prominent.
Adding to the title results in the difference between 2 otherwise duplicate movie entries being visible in the left hand scrolling title list.

While it is true in could be added to several other record fields, they are only going to be visible after I have selected a record.
Looking at the options for title formatting, I could use the "Release" field then display that in the title. Not sure what it is suppose to be used for. Not sure what functionality I would gain as a search for "HD" in title already rapidly lists my HD movies.

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
  • I've got my eye on you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 01:59:57 pm »
While it is true in could be added to several other record fields, they are only going to be visible after I have selected a record.
How about using "group by" and or "sort by"
You could group them by HD and DVD etc.

You can add custom groups via tools/preferences/Movies/Tree view Nodes

I think the only way to get the view that you want is to wait for "GRID VIEW" in version 1.
three fingered salutation

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 08:33:03 pm »
Looking at the options for title formatting, I could use the "Release" field then display that in the title. Not sure what it is suppose to be used for. Not sure what functionality I would gain as a search for "HD" in title already rapidly lists my HD movies.

I had forgotten about the title format option. I use the release field (renamed in the interface and my skin) to record Movie series (e.g., James Bond, Lord of the Rings). This allows me to include it in the list, group by it, and edit it using the MME. I suppose it could be used just as well for media type or version—as Melmoth has discovered.

anything