Author Topic: People import  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Trebek

• View Profile
People import
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:39:05 pm »
When creating a new movie master all the people entered into the system should also have their information submitted.  This may take longer in the import but would save time in having to go back in later for people.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: People import
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:03:49 am »
This has been discussed in the past. I think it would be nice to have the option for the people to be updated immediately after the movie information has downloaded—whether or not the movie has be added via NMM. It's an obvious and significant convenience if movies are being added one at a time. If more than a few movies are being added, however, it's much more efficient to add and update all the movies, then select the newly added people and update them all at once.

I'm not sure how others would feel about it, but I would probably be happy with your suggestion—assuming what you mean is people would be added automatically only if NMM is used (and it could still be optional there—just like the existing checkbox items). I would then use NMM if I wanted people information to be downloaded at the same time. If I'm adding a number of movies at the same time, I'm going to prefer to add them all first, then update them, then update all the people that were added. I would prefer to simply use NMM if I wanted this option, rather than going into Preferences, changing the setting, then forgetting how I left it set. :-\

Having said that, I think it would also be very cool to have a movie command to "update selected movies' people." Sometimes I find myself browsing a movie and the people associated with that movie—neither of which has been updated in some time. Updating the movie is simple enough. But if I could then invoke this command, by the time I finished studying the movie information, I would know any of the associated people records I cared to look at would also be up-to-date. 8)

So call this a "+1+"  ;D

Offline Trebek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:40:40 am »
I do not know about other users but when I import movies I do it one at a time so that I can make sure it imports the correct movie and the correct poster.  This is just me though and if it was a choice then both groups of people could import to there liking.  Keep up the amazing work.

buah

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 07:34:01 am »
I agree it would be handy to have such an option while importing movie data.

Or, even in People view to have Group by->Title? Then I could use ctr+A (or ctrl+click for only some of the people) to update people records.

anything