Author Topic: Backup + Timestamp + ZIP  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
Backup + Timestamp + ZIP
« on: June 18, 2010, 07:14:03 pm »
Hi,

would it be possible to implement the possibility to add a timestamp to filenames when backing up? And in addition have the backup stored in (7)ZIP formate?

This is a very low priority feature suggestion since another programme could easily do this job - but this whistle would make the lazy hearted feel quite tickled...

Thanks for considering!

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Backup + Timestamp + ZIP
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 07:58:26 pm »
OK, I will add this request to the "not so important" TODO list ;)
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:26:33 pm »
Maybe the most sensible thing to do is remove the backup feature entirely. There's nothing wrong with having one, but its existence seems to suggest to many users it's the best way to make a backup. It's not. It's faster, easier and more reliable to make a copy (or a zip archive) directly in the file system. Such backups can be made as required (e.g., prior to updating the program, or conducting "experiments") and scheduled as part of a regular automated backup routine. Another serious flaw of the internal backup routine is that it requires the program to be functioning correctly to make a valid backup, and to be able to restore it.

For the minor convenience of those who would rather make a backup from within the program, there's a better option. That is a simple Save as copy function. To be useful, such a function would not be so simple "under the hood." It would have to be able to instruct the file system to make a copy even though the file is in use. In the case of a server connection, that probably means disconnecting while the copy is being made, although there's no way to force other applications to disconnect. I don't understand how it works, but maybe there's some way to do this using "shadow copy" technology. :-\

BTW, for those using a version of Windows that includes the Shadow Copy feature (Vista and 7?), ShadowExplorer is a free tool that provides a dramatically better alternative to Window's lame Properties - Previous Versions. Although no substitute for traditional backup, this is the most convenient way to recover from any mishap that has affected only the current database. My usual automated backup keeps the last seven versions of my database, but I see I also have daily shadow copies for the last 21 days!

Offline Melmoth

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:56:41 am »
You are right again, Rick. My pvd db is on my regular backup routine list anyway, but if somebody's working or playing around with the programme (e.g. mass importing, dramatic changes, ...) one might want to keep some extra versions of the db. But - as I said before - another programme would do the job, too. And I'd rather keep the internal routine...

Oh, an thanks doc for adding my plea to your lists!