Author Topic: Trouble in restoring backup  (Read 4235 times)

Offline ukjeyaraj

• View Profile
Trouble in restoring backup
« on: June 20, 2010, 07:15:46 am »
I was using PVD on windows 7 and have a backup.

Two days windows 7 crashed and now i switched to windows XP. Now I installed PVD version 0.9.9.21. When I try to restore the backup i get an error message

"Specified file is not a Personal Video Database XML file" and it changes the extension of the backup file from "movies.pvd" to "movies.pvd.old"

The problem remains the same even if use version "0.9.8.20".

When I tried with version 9.7.1 it gives an error message "Tprogress Bar out of range". But did not change the file name.

I do not remember which version I was using earlier. It should be either 0.9.8.20 or 0.9.9.21

Kindly help me to restore the database.

Offline ukjeyaraj

• View Profile
Re: Trouble in restoring backup
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 03:21:42 pm »
Someone please help

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble in restoring backup
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:44:59 pm »
It's difficult to tell what might be wrong from what you describe. I suggest you uninstall, remove your configuration file, reinstall the program, and try to open the data file from your last known good backup.

Hopefully, by "backup" you mean a copy of the database which you know worked and which you have not attempted to open since the time you know it worked. Attempting to open a database with the wrong version of the program can corrupt it. If your backup was made with the internal backup feature of an older version of the program, I'm not sure if it can be restored by a newer version. I suppose it won't hurt to try, but you may have to install the old version it was created with, restore the database, then update the program.

The error you're getting, it would seem the program is attempting to update the database to a new format, but is unable to do so. This would happen if the database was corrupted by, perhaps, trying to open it using an older version of the program than the one that created or last used it. Since you tried to open it with 0.9.7.1, it's particularly important you revert to the last known good backup.

It's possible the problem has something to do with the OS and how Firebird files are handled. It seems odd you would "switch" from 7 to XP. Are you talking about the same machine? Have you ever installed the server version of Firebird?

anything