Author Topic: [FAQ] Portable mode  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Fletch

• View Profile
[FAQ] Portable mode
« on: June 26, 2010, 12:41:22 am »
Alright,

Look for some help with the viddb ... i'm still using version 0.9.9.19 at the moment (will do the upgrade when i get time)

I use the program on 2 logins on one pc run from a usb drive, now on my login it works perfectly, movies down the left, ones loaned in red, click on a film get a description and a toolbar at the top.  

On my brother login, he cannot see the standard Viddb toolbar at the top, he can see the list of films but cannot see the markers (loan, seen, wish) and cannot see the description ... What has he done??

Any help would be great
Fletch
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:41:03 am by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with layout
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 01:52:51 am »
Welcome, Fletch.

I don't know why it shouldn't work, but I wonder why you've installed to a USB drive. I suppose that would make sense if it's your movie collection on your USB drive, and you would like to share it using your brother's computer.

Unless you run the program with the -portable switch, the program should create a pvdconfig.ini configuration in each user's application data folder. You haven't indicated your OS, so I'll just assume you know where that is. This allows each user to configure the program differently. This might explain why your brother does not see the same thing as you. I suggest he try changing some settings (like the toolbar configuration), and see if those settings are retained when the program is restarted. That should confirm the personalized configurations are working correctly or not.

If you would rather share a common configuration, use the -portable switch. That simply forces the program to use a configuration file saved in the installation directory.

Offline Fletch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 02:52:25 am »
If i deleted the ini file will this bring all back to default??

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 05:17:32 am »
Yes. If the program doesn't find a configuration file, it will generate a default one.

Offline Fletch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 06:15:48 am »
Perfect, That'll do nicely

Out of interest where do i put the portable switch? 

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 06:43:38 am »
You can use the portable.bat file in the installation directory. But it just consists of the command "viddb.exe" -portable. You'll probably prefer to use that in whatever shortcut is used for starting the program.

anything