Author Topic: [SOLVED] Making certain episodes/seasons invisible  (Read 6369 times)

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Making certain episodes/seasons invisible
« on: July 05, 2010, 01:33:47 pm »
I've read through this forum and learned (from Rick, I think) that the best method of adding a new TV series to the database is to first add it with the IMDb plugin, before adding the actual files. Then select all the episodes of a season and do an additional update, and finally add the files into the parent entry, using the file path field, then choosing "organize files by episodes". This works so much better for me, so thanks for that advice!

However, when you do this on a series, it brings in every season that's listed on IMDb -- past and future, whether or not you might happen to have those episodes. So my question is: would you suggest doing a "soft delete" of those episodes and/or seasons that you don't have (i.e., just making them invisible)? It doesn't seem as though I should delete them entirely.

Additionally, let's say I've done that (made certain future episodes of a series invisible), and the next week I acquire one of those episodes and want to add it to my database... what's the best method for doing that? Should I use "new", or should I create a "new episode" and then plug the file path of the new digital file into that entry? If I use the latter method, will the previously-invisible listing for that episode show up again and tie itself to my newly-created episode?

Or is it easier/best to just enable my "invisible" filter, select the episode I want to add, and choose "always show"?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm still new to PVD and am slowly figuring all this out.  ???

Thanks in advance!  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:36:24 am by rick.ca »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Making certain episodes/seasons invisible, for later use
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 09:38:41 pm »
You would just leave the episodes as they are. You can still detect which you own by filtering by file path...
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:39:11 pm »
You would just leave the episodes as they are. You can still detect which you own by filtering by file path...

You can do that? I looked in Preferences and in the drop-down filter options, but this is all I see...

Maybe you meant to just sort by "movies on hard drives" -- but that wouldn't take into account the movies on DVD. I'm still clueless, sorry. Do I need to do something to edit the "Advanced Filters" option?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:44:32 pm »
Of course you can using simple filters as in the screenshot in attachment or advanced filters.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:57:13 pm »
Of course you can using simple filters as in the screenshot in attachment or advanced filters.

Ohhhh. Duh, silly me. I never really knew what that option was for, I guess -- I thought it was only for doing searches. But it makes sense that if you don't have anything in the search box, it would default to showing everything in the categories you've got selected. I'll have to play with that a bit.

Thanks for being patient with me, nostra. Hopefully I'll eventually show myself to be slightly less "thick" than I've displayed so far.  ;)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:12:42 pm »
No problem, really. It is bit difficult for a beginner, but I am sure you will learn the basics quickly.

anything