Author Topic: Sorting - Ascending and Descending  (Read 5558 times)

buah

Sorting - Ascending and Descending
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:13:20 pm »
When sorting entries, they're always listed ascending. But, I didn't found a way to sort a list in PVD descending.

If there is a way, please give me a hint, and rick, please move this topic to "Support".

If there isn't a way, I found it convenient to have such an option. Then this is a feature suggestion and I'd appreciate other's opinions.

This because, for example, I'd like to list entries sorted by IMDb (or any) rating from the highest to lowest.

Thanks

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Sorting - Ascending and Descending
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:05:48 pm »
To change the direction of any sort, make the same sort selection again. For example, choosing to sort by IMDb rating sorts the list in ascending order. Selecting it a second time reverses the order—to descending. Yes, a marvellous feature—hiding in plain sight. ;)

It would be nice the current sort order could be indicated by an arrow on the sort menu, but this is probably not possible given the tool being used to create the menu. Maybe just as well—we don't have to argue whether an up arrow means "ascending" or "descending."  :P

buah

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 01:16:45 pm »
Oh my, oh my... Thanks!

Maybe a toolbar icon just like in MS Word (A-Z;Z-A) for sorting on current criteria would be possible? If not, than this topic is definitely to be moved. :D

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 09:00:21 pm »
That would be fine, except it wouldn't indicate what the current sort field is. I would prefer the field, sort order and control be visible together at all times. That could be done with a drop-down that appears at the top of the list—so the sort field is shown. Beside it would be the control/indicator for the sort order. In other words, it would serve both as a header indicating the sort state of the list and as the control for changing it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:49:50 am by rick.ca »

buah

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:15:08 pm »
Amen.

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
  • I've got my eye on you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:59:28 am »
C'mon guys.

You just need to look at it:
ABCDEFG...if its not in that order its reversed.  ;D

three fingered salutation

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 07:26:42 pm »
Very funny. And if it's sorted by rating or key grip's shoe size? ::)
FBGCDAE...

buah

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »
Feature suggestion:

delete at least three of most recent posts, including this, by descending order ;D