English > Talk

Movies you recently wasted your time watching

<< < (2/3) > >>

buah:
Sorry Hyomil, I was totally convinced I saw Azumi on you listal 10/10 list.  :-\

Well, considering that I saw 114 movies rated 1-4,9 meaning that I still didn't reach "waste of time" stage, and that I saw 390 movies rated 5-5,9 ("waste of time" stage reached ;P), and that you saw 303 movies rated with your "waste of time" scale, the question arises:

Which one of us is greater time waster? ;D

Or, is this just another proof that the time is relative (in terms of wasting, of course ;))?

deazo:
 Hyomil, while I agree with some, I have to say I am stunt at some of your lowest ratings.
 Rating films like "Being John Malkovitch" or "kung Fu Hustle" or "Ed Wood" less than 5 is a proof of a strong Charisma I would have to say!
 I have checked your favorite films on Listal and was doubly stunt to find "Angel-A" in your top 15.
 This would be at 1.5 I think in my own list if I had bothered to put it in.

We are such a varied community that I am starting to wonder about all these rating systems, are they really that useful?
 I knew that of course, and before discovering your choices I thought that roughly 75% of the times I could trust a good rating system (like rotten tomatoes for example) but now I am  wondering if that number should be more like 40% or even lower, considering such deep differences.

If life wasn't so short we wouldn't have to bother with all this...

Hyomil:

--- Quote from: buah on August 12, 2010, 10:17:48 pm ---Which one of us is greater time waster? ;D
--- End quote ---

I've rated 665 total, so 303/665=45%.  So at least I can still say the majority of the movies I watch I don't find a waste of time.   I've also marked 784 as Not Interested using a custom item after researching them, so I think of that as gaining back time I've lost. ;)

Hyomil:

--- Quote from: deazo on August 13, 2010, 09:12:48 am --- Hyomil, while I agree with some, I have to say I am stunt at some of your lowest ratings.
 Rating films like "Being John Malkovitch" or "kung Fu Hustle" or "Ed Wood" less than 5 is a proof of a strong Charisma I would have to say!
 I have checked your favorite films on Listal and was doubly stunt to find "Angel-A" in your top 15.
 This would be at 1.5 I think in my own list if I had bothered to put it in.
--- End quote ---

I think you mean "stunned."

Kung Fu Hustle I was particularly disappointed with because I've liked other Stephen Chow movies (The King of Comedy, God of Cookery, A Chinese Odyssey:Part One, though not Part Two) and will continue to try more.  Couldn't even finish that one, though; found it forced, annoying, and unfunny.  Shaolin Soccer, the other of his released in the US, I gave a 6.  The others I saw so long ago I don't remember much about, but I haven't seen anything with John Malkovich or Johnny Depp that I liked.

--- Quote ---We are such a varied community that I am starting to wonder about all these rating systems, are they really that useful?
 I knew that of course, and before discovering your choices I thought that roughly 75% of the times I could trust a good rating system (like rotten tomatoes for example) but now I am wondering if that number should be more like 40% or even lower, considering such deep differences.
--- End quote ---

I've found it discouraging as well.  On listal, there's a Compatibility Rating area when you go to the movies page on your profile where you can find the users who are most compatible with you ratings-wise.  I've yet to find anyone, though, without some "stunning" choices for their highest-rated movies.  If you Follow some of these users, though, you'll get on every movie page on listal a display of which of your Followed users has seen that movie, their ratings, and an average of all their ratings.  I'm thinking now its best to just Follow a bunch of users who like *some* of the same movies as you and go by the average of all of their ratings since for any given user there's always going to be movies that you rate 1/10 and they rate 10/10.  I don't see any way to do this on Rotten Tomatoes.

Netflix.com has a vast database of users, and has spent large amounts of money trying to develop an automated recommendation system.  I've given it 1800 ratings, yet I'd say its given me maybe 5 recommendations (out of several hundred) that I queued to watch, and I've seen many make similar comments.  I'll keep looking for something better, though.

deazo:

Have you tried criticker.com ?
 A few of us in this forum have profiles on it.
 http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=1589.0
 Still, the recommendation system won't be perfect.

There is also http://www.jinni.com/
 It is using a "movie DNA" type of system, in order to allow you to find movies similar to a particular one.

Thanks for the "stunt" correction...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version