Author Topic: File Scanner Improvements II  (Read 16964 times)

buah

Re: File Scanner Improvements II
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 04:33:44 pm »
Please see previous post first. These are pictures after updating file information.
IMDb information hadn't change, as you can see.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:35:39 pm by buah »

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
  • I've got my eye on you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 01:01:06 am »
hi buah.
thanks for explaination.
Your process will only work (for me) if PVD detects a changed file path.
The core issue is at detection phase. PVD needs to be able to tell that the volume has been changed not just the path.
Once it has done this it can process as per your process

If you movie 20 movies and you move them from drive i: (with volume label of 15G) to drive h:(with volume label of 1TB) - PVD will detect that the path has changed and give you options to process these movies.

If you move movies from drive i: (with volume label of 15G) to c:\drive. Then swap 15G drive out with 1TB drive. Then copy movies from c: drive to 1TB drive. Now you have 1TB drive with movies on it, but path is still i: - PVD will not detect that path has changed. (it is still i: drive), but the volume label has changed from 15G to 1TB.
three fingered salutation

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 01:30:34 am »
To be honest, CAD, I do not think such a functionality of detecting changed labels, but same paths will be available any time soon as I really can't imagine many users having such situations and you could just have changed the label (not switched hard drives) and the whole thing only to update one field (not a critical one)...
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

buah

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 01:54:50 am »
Hi CAD.
Thanks for your patience.

Now I see that your original idea for File scanner was to be able to update volume change, regardless of path change, which wasn't clear to me before your most recent post, mostly because I don't have such a routine for storing movies (and it was obvious when I didn't know why someone would move movies so often:))

With my routine (discussed in some other topic) I can never be confused where my movie should be ("ID" story)

Although I don't need such an option, I agree it should work the way you suggested, of course.

Edit: nostra posted his post while I was typing mine, but I won't change it, because it complies with what nostra wrote (not many users...)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:57:27 am by buah »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 02:40:03 am »
If you move movies from drive i: (with volume label of 15G) to c:\drive. Then swap 15G drive out with 1TB drive. Then copy movies from c: drive to 1TB drive. Now you have 1TB drive with movies on it, but path is still i: - PVD will not detect that path has changed. (it is still i: drive), but the volume label has changed from 15G to 1TB.

It's possible to reserve a drive letter for each drive used. I don't have need for it, but it seems USB Drive Letter Manager is the tool to use.

But aside from that, you should be able to change those volume labels using Re-read file information. With 1TB attached, use Advance search to select Media label = 15G and re-scan. The movies with files on 1TB will have their Media label updated. The movies with files on 15G (only) will be unaffected because the files will not be found. I'm assuming, of course, the file scanner just skips these and doesn't report errors.

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 02:49:28 am »
Hi buah,
glad you understand what I am getting at. :D

To be honest, CAD, I do not think such a functionality of detecting changed labels, but same paths will be available any time soon as I really can't imagine many users having such situations and you could just have changed the label (not switched hard drives) and the whole thing only to update one field (not a critical one)...

Hi Nostra,
I was going to say that users could rename the volume label, and paths would remain the same.
their databse would then have an incorrect volume label.

Also (as rick hinted) it would be great if all fields (that can be read from the stored media - eg video codecs etc) are updated as part the path chage detection. For me the Media label (volume label) is most important, but I can see how it would be useful to update other fields.

It's possible to reserve a drive letter for each drive used. I don't have need for it, but it seems USB Drive Letter Manager is the tool to use.
Yes - I can force pvd to recognise movies have changed path, but the change path scan does not update "media label field" which I would like to use to know which HD a particular movie is on.

you should be able to change those volume labels using Re-read file information
I will try this....when I find it (when i get home) may be easy solution.
Just tried it - and it updates volume label, should be a good work around.  :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:05:53 am by CAD »

buah

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 06:54:21 am »
It's possible to reserve a drive letter for each drive used.

This is exactly what I do, and what I intended to write about. I always assigns drives as follows:

C: Windows and Program Files drive
D: My Documents, Backup and pagefile.sys drive
E:-N: External and/or other internal mass storage drives
P:-T: USB stick drives
U:-Z: Optical and/or virtual drives.

Disc Management console does this job perfectly for me.

What I concluded was that you either used automatic assigning first available drive letter, or you purposely assigned same letter. If first, then you should reserve drive letter for each external HDD, and if second, you have a problem when both attached at the same time - one of them wouldn't recognized by Windows.

Quote from: CAD
Quote from: rick
It's possible to reserve a drive letter for each drive used.
Yes - I can force pvd to recognise movies have changed path, but the change path scan does not update "media label field" which I would like to use to know which HD a particular movie is on.

Now, I'm confused again. If you reserve different letter for each drive, it implies path changing, so scanning as I described earlier overwrites Media label field? But, this was rather rhetorical, you don't have to reply on this.

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 11:30:42 am »
tested reread file information on my main database and seems to do the job with no ill effects.
A bit more convoluted but a good solution.

I use disk management console extensively - my partitions are mounted as sub-directories under c:

Now, I'm confused again. If you reserve different letter for each drive, it implies path changing, so scanning as I described earlier overwrites Media label field? But, this was rather rhetorical, you don't have to reply on this.

You are correct that selecting add movie will overwrite media label field, but it also redownloads everything (unless I missed something).
This thread got a bit sidetracked with our two needs.

My original request was for "scan new folders" to also update media label field (which I'm hoping Nostra will still consider) :)
Rick rightly suggested all these media related fields could be updated.(which I'm hoping Nostra will still consider) :)
A step further that would cover all contingencies (and got a bit lost in translation) would be to detect path change OR media label change and update media related fields  (which I'm hoping Nostra will still consider) :) - but he probably wont :(

anything