Author Topic: [SOLVED] Actors' roles aren't being imported  (Read 47594 times)

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

Re: Actors' roles aren't being imported
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 12:57:16 pm »
1. the plugin is failing to get the roles,
2. they're not being saved in the database, or
3. the program is not displaying them?

-------------------------

Plain text export shows no role data, so #1 and #2 are in play.  Other people aren't having this problem, so #1 is unlikely.  That leaves #2...roles aren't being saved.

--------------------------

The next straw to grasp at would be to test a new database...

1. Delete the pvdconfig.ini file that should be in your installation folder as a result of the last test.
2. Rename (so you can reinstate it later if you like) the imdbconf.cfg file in the \Plugins folder.
3. If your database is in the default folder, move it elsewhere—so the program won't find it. This is important—I don't think this test will mean anything your existing database is opened.
4. Start the program, again with the -portable switch. It should automatically create a new default database.
5. Check that the default setting of the plugin are sufficient for testing (e.g., Actors is checked in Overwrite fields). Otherwise, just use the defaults.
6. Add some movies and see if the same problem exists.

------------------

New database with the same issue.  Do we know that for sure?  Does a plain text export on the new database show roles?

To my mind, this appears to be a user-specific issue.  That means either the configuration files are corrupt or the database is.  The fact that the problem comes and goes to me indicates that there may even be a hardware issue (maybe a cross-linked file for example).  My best suggestion is to run a scandisk (with 'automatically fix file system errors' enabled).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:19:42 pm by mgpw4me@yahoo.com »

Offline RazorHall

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 03:06:42 pm »
New database with the same issue.  Do we know that for sure?  Does a plain text export on the new database show roles?

I hadn't run the plain text export on a new database yet, so I did that a minute ago and got the same result.  No role data.

Offline Ally

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 06:24:43 pm »
Hi Folks....

First of all, many thanks for having me in this forum.........PVD is a wonderful program and I know I'm gonna have a lot of fun updating my collection of movies.

On this issue of actors' roles not being imported, I believe I may have found the solution.........This morning I downloaded the program files, installed PVD and immediately updated the IMDB Plugin.  Next I went into Preferences > Movies > Information Card, and under the section "Show credits as" I simply checked both "Name" and "Role". Exiting out of the Preferences dialog box, I looked at some of the movie details I had downloaded from IMBD and voila  :D.........Actors' names had their roles.

I hope this helps.

buah

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 08:15:36 pm »
My 2 cents

Edit pvdconfig.ini and inspect/overwrite appropriate sections with this. Be careful, the last section line defines Skin.

[MME]
MainExpanded=1
CreditsExpanded=1
AdditionalExpanded=1
FileExpanded=1

[Tree]
SortBy=2
SortDirection=0

[Plain]
SortBy=1
SortDirection=0

[PeopleTree]
SortBy=1
SortDirection=0

[PeoplePlain]
SortBy=1
SortDirection=0

[Title]
Format=%N. %T (%Y)

[PeopleTitle]
Format=%N

[MovieInfo]
DurationInMinutes=0
SizeInGB=0
MaxPosterWidth=40
MaxPosterHeight=50
DefSeenState=0
CreditsFormat=pfsName,pfsRole
DefShop=0
RndPoster=1
DeleteMovieFiles=0
LoanMediaLabel=0
LoanID=1
LabelOnlyRemovable=0
FilterEpisodes=1
SingleSeason=1
Skin=pvd_imdb_conservative.xml

Also this part

SilentMode=0
AllPosters=0
MergeFilms=0
IgnoreNoCredits=0
DefaultType1=pvdtotray.dll
DefaultType2=imdb.dll
DefaultType4=impawards.dll
DefaultType7=imdb_people.dll
DefaultType9=plainexp.dll
DefaultType10=scriptint.dll
DefaultType3=msexcel.dll

Of course, first backup your database.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 09:43:54 pm »
All the credits are as "in database". I am pretty sure the problem has smth to do with this:
Set IMDB plugin to overwrite Actors field and the problem should be fixed.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 10:03:55 pm »
First of all, many thanks for having me in this forum.........PVD is a wonderful program and I know I'm gonna have a lot of fun updating my collection of movies.

Welcome, Ally.

Thanks for trying, but we already checked this.

Edit pvdconfig.ini and inspect/overwrite appropriate sections with this...

Previous tests forcing the use of the default configuration should have ruled-out the configuration file as the source of the problem.

All the credits are as "in database". I am pretty sure the problem has smth to do with this:
Set IMDB plugin to overwrite Actors field and the problem should be fixed.

I agree that's the way it looks, but I thought we had already ruled that out...

Yes, those check boxes were a bit confusing at first, but shortly after joining the forum, I found a helpful post that explained how they worked.   I've experimented with both the shades and checkmarks, but lately I can't get the roles to download either way.

RazorHall, regardless of the impact on this situation, the overwrite settings for all people fields should always be set to overwrite (i.e., a solid check mark). This helps maintain the integrity of the movie/people relations in the database.

To my mind, this appears to be a user-specific issue.  That means either the configuration files are corrupt or the database is.  The fact that the problem comes and goes to me indicates that there may even be a hardware issue...

In other words—it has to be a configuration, database or "system" problem—and it seems we've ruled-out the first two. And one possible system problem is a corrupt installation file. If that has happened, it's important to run ScanDisk anyway, but I don't know if you could be sure that would fix the problem. A more direct approach would be to reinstall the program—in a way that ensures all files are replaced (the installation routine should do this anyway, but in this circumstance we want to be absolutely sure)...

0. It probably doesn't need to said at this point, but prepare yourself for this making no difference whatsoever...  :P
1. Move the configuration and database files to a secure location where they won't be found by the program.
2. Uninstall the program.
3. If they still exist, delete the installation, configuration and data folders.
4. Run ScanDisk.
5. Reinstall the program.
6. Test using the default configuration and database to see if the problem remains.
7. Replace the configuration and database files with the old ones, and test to see it the problem remains/returns.

Offline RazorHall

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:16 pm »
Thanks to the last few people who offered possible solutions!  Unfortunately, none were successful.  I haven't tried your latest one yet, Rick, but will shortly.  First I wanted to mention something I just noticed, which may or may not be helpful.  I tried importing the Actors information for a recently added movie using the AllMovie.com plugin, and both the actors and roles were downloaded successfully.  I deleted the Actors field and tried the IMDB plugin once more, and as usual the roles were missing.  Again, I don't know if that information is useful at all, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.   :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:16:41 pm by RazorHall »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 10:35:41 pm »
-I do not think it is a database issue, because those in 99% cases produce error messages.
-It should not be a problem with the plugin, because no other users can reproduce the problem (same for the application itself).
-I do not think it is a hardware problem as such problem usually produce random results and error messages from the system.
-It could be a problem with the system configuration, but I can't imagine which option should be changed.

P.S. How is actually your "Merge filmography" option set?
P.P.S. attach your pvdconf.ini, so I can take a look at it

Offline RazorHall

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 10:53:52 pm »
The "Merge filmography" box is empty, not checked or shaded.  I've attached the pvdconf.ini file below.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 12:55:39 am »
I think we need a reward for the one who solves this. I wonder if they've cast the lead for this yet. :D

Offline RazorHall

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 03:55:27 am »
Latest update:  even the complete uninstall & reinstall didn't make a difference, before nor after putting my configuration and database files back into place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:57:32 am by RazorHall »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 06:41:58 am »
If there's a place beyond stumped, I'm there. :P

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 12:45:05 am »
It would be a shame to let a thread die without resolution.

What (we think) we know...when adding a movie:

1) database is not saving actor roles (export plain text shows no roles)
2) other people with same O/S do not have same issue (user specific problem)
3) database is not the problem (new database = same issue)
4) configuration file is not the problem (new install = same issue)
5) hardware is not an issue (no cross-linked files)
6) when using manual updates or other sites (other than IMDB) the roles are updated

The next step would be to have a reasonable debug of exactly what is happening when the record is (supposed) to be added.  The plugin doesn't provide this, so we don't know what (if any) errors are occurring when the role record is being added.  Given that the person is added, but not the role, I really have to wonder that the database is intact...either that or the plug-in (that works for everyone else with the same O/S) is broken.  I've had a number of issues with the database (ie. posters wont import) that were resolved by scanning the HD for errors.

My thought is that either we have not considered the true nature of the problem, or we have pretended to know things we do not.  In either case, we need to confirm that we know what we think we do so we can move forward.

What we really need is more information about the failure.  In particular, does the database command fail?  If not, then the data should be in the database.  If we don't get an error, then the database command "should" be working...assuming there is verification in the plug-in...something like 'number of records updated' after the update.

We know that manual entry of data works, so the data being passed to the plug-in isn't parsed correctly (but it is for other people) or there is some 'other' error occurring.  That doesn't make sense since manual entry of data should be same the same as plug-in entry.

Was a scandisk done?  If the imdb.dll was cross-linked, strange thinks could happen.  If scandisk was done, I'm more than happy to write a script (with a ton of debug info) to get the info necessary to resolve this issue.

Offline RazorHall

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 01:13:46 am »
Was a scandisk done?  If the imdb.dll was cross-linked, strange thinks could happen.  If scandisk was done, I'm more than happy to write a script (with a ton of debug info) to get the info necessary to resolve this issue.

Yes, I ran scandisk a couple of times with the "automatically fix file system errors" option selected.  I didn't run it with "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" selected, though.  I can do that if there's a chance it will help.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 01:16:46 am »
I will provide a special imdb plugin version (probably tomorrow) to get missing information.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 01:25:45 am »
I will provide a special imdb plugin version (probably tomorrow) to get missing information.

What? A special plugin to add the information that's not supposed to be missing in the first place? If you can do that, why not just add the same function to the existing plugin? ???

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 01:35:33 am »
The plugin will most probably not only log information, but also create additional files and I do not really think it is a good idea to just make the standard plugin do this all the time, when I see users complaining about download speeds and such, but I do can integrate a debug mode that can be turned on if necessary.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 02:56:21 am »
OIC. A diagnostic plugin. I thought you meant a plugin to download the missing role data. ::)

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 03:15:32 am »
What? A special plugin to add the information that's not supposed to be missing in the first place? If you can do that, why not just add the same function to the existing plugin? ???

I like it.  An option:

Return missing information:  TRUE / FALSE

As Captain Picard would say...make it so... ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:17:04 am by mgpw4me@yahoo.com »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 11:09:07 pm »
OK, here you go:
1. Overwrite your imdb plugin with the one attached
2. Add a new line in imdbconf.ini containing
Code: [Select]
13. Reproduce the problem
4. Send me per email or better post here the file PVD Folder\Plugins\imdb_debug.txt and all html files from the Plugins folder

[attachment deleted by admin]

anything