Author Topic: [FAQ] "A similar entry was found in the database" but not sure why  (Read 5245 times)

Offline daddydave

• View Profile
    • Me on Google+
I added a movie that has never been in my database. Still I get this message box (attached). This happens with any movie. I am adding the movie via New Movie Master and my first thought was it was because I had poster checked. My second thought was to change back to IMDB from IMDB+Allmovie.  But I get this regardless. Could this be related to those invisible movies I keep hearing about and don't really understand?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:09:15 am by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: "A similar entry was found in the database" but not sure why
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:13:54 pm »
Yes, it's an attempt to prevent duplicate (invisible) records being created. I don't think it works very well, so I disable it by deselecting the "Adding items" options at Preferences - Miscellaneous. And yes, it's essentially the same issue as mentioned here...

The purpose of that behaviour is to avoid the creation of duplicate records. I consider it a design flaw—which I hope will be fixed in 1.0. The check for duplicate records should happen after the new item has be selected and downloaded. Any existing (invisible) records can then be positively identified based on URL and deleted.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: "A similar entry was found in the database" but not sure why
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:18:38 pm »
The feature is pretty buggy and I plan to fix it soon, but in a meantime it is really better to turn it off.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!