Author Topic: Saving Advanced Search queries?  (Read 6753 times)

Offline daddydave

• View Profile
    • Me on Google+
Saving Advanced Search queries?
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:32:41 pm »
Are there any plans to allow saving Advanced Search queries (ideally with a query name)? After creating a fairly complicated advanced search (which nostra went to some trouble to allow and which I am most grateful for), it seems a shame to have to recreate the same query again (even though it does save the most recent advanced search).

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Saving Advanced Search queries?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:02 pm »
Yes, I am pretty sure saving searches will be possible in the next release.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:57:26 pm »
Yes, I am pretty sure saving searches will be possible in the next release.

YES! You've endured a lot of nagging...

Great news! Advanced Search is going to be so useful, I hope you've included the ability to save searches and map them into custom toolbar buttons.

Not all of my irritating posts were purged. And there's more... ;D

Originally posted to lost topic Subtitles in statistics in September 2008...
As an alternative means of providing statistical information, Advanced Search could be made more friendly by adding the ability to save searches. Saved searches could then be a means for generating whatever statistics one is interested in seeing on a regular basis.

On my wish list for quite some time has been the ability to save and recall advanced searches. I think this would be a much more powerful way to implement what you are suggesting. The full power of Advanced Search would be available for specifying the criteria you want, and the result could be displayed by simply selecting the saved search from a menu.

Think of Advanced Search as a full-feature custom filter—there really isn't any difference (in the end result) between a search and a filter. Unfortunately, a search can't be applied as easily as a filter. Someday, I hope that's rectified by adding some sort of mechanism for saving custom searches, and making them available in a menu.

For database queries (like the items buah suggests), it would be nice if they could be specified with the long-awaited and much-anticipated Saved Search feature. This would be another reason for implementing some sort of saved search management facility that's not available only from Advanced Search...

My hope is that someday we'll be able to save Advanced searches. When that feature is available, it would be wonderful if a new filter could be based on one of those saved searches. Then you would be able to devise a complex search to identify the movies you don't want your kids watching, and filter them out.

...but I have been quiet about Grid View. :-X

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:00:40 pm »
Actually, I am still not sure about the Grid View. We'll see what comes out ;)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 12:11:07 am »
Actually, I am still not sure about the Grid View. We'll see what comes out.

I've always assumed it's such a major task, you always defer it in favour of a dozen easier—and probably more urgent—changes.

Also, it's perhaps not the sort of thing that should just be tacked-on as another feature. To be effective, it needs to be integrated to some degree with other things. For example, using Advanced Search with Grid View makes a lot of sense. That doesn't mean the workings of Advanced Search have to change, but it's interface or how it's presented in Grid View might, as might the way of implementing Saved Searches. Maybe the Advanced Search interface should be integrated with Grid View (like it is in many database programs), and then Saved Searches used to run those queries in List View. Then, with these two features integrated, a separate MME would be redundant... This, BTW, is just an illustration of the kind of thing I believe needs to be considered—not a recommendation.

On the other hand, if we're ever to see Grid View again, maybe you need to just toss it in as a separate feature—and let the integration issues evolve. :-\

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 01:02:00 am »
If I do the Grid View it will certainly be fully integrated with all the filters and search options, web search and so on. I see no point in creating a part of a program that does not work with other parts of it.

Offline daddydave

• View Profile
    • Me on Google+
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 01:46:45 am »
I never saw the original Grid View, but in my mind it would make Multi Movie Editor obsolete and conquer some of its limitations. Personally I like the Advanced Search just as it is, except with a save / goto saved query gui.

anything