Author Topic: [SOLVED] IMDb plugin, Select Movie - several questions  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] IMDb plugin, Select Movie - several questions
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:16:06 am »
Apologies if this has been discussed before. This has so far not proven to be a problem, it's merely a curiosity at this point. It appears to only be happening with TV episodes...

When there are multiple shows that have the same or similar episode titles, when the "select movie" dialog box pops up, many times I will see multiple entries on the same line -- that is, similarly-titled episodes from two completely different programs are sharing the same line. I've attached two examples of this, both from the series "Smallville" (although, as I say, it's happened to me with numerous other shows, as well).

Between the two entries I always see these characters:
Code: [Select]
/ #x22;
I think in every case, the first of the two entries has always been the correct one that I need, so this has not been an issue. However, I'm wondering what would happen if the episode I wanted was listed second, instead of first, on these duplicate entry lines. So I suppose this could potentially be a problem, although it hasn't been one in my experience so far.

On a semi-related note, something I've been wondering about for a while -- I'm confused by the checkbox on the "Select Movie" dialog window. Usually I will just select the entry I want (not doing anything with the checkbox), and it works fine, but that doesn't seem to gibe with what I read in this thread http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=1817.0. Also, I seem to recall on several past occasions gray-checking the box, or fully-checking the box, but neither did anything differently than merely selecting the entry and leaving the box unchecked. Is the checkbox doing something behind-the-scenes that I'm not fully aware of, or am I just clueless as to what it actually is doing?  

I did find this thread -- http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=1503.0 -- in which rick.ca says, about the movie selection dialog:
...I still don't understand the intended purpose of the checkboxes. ... if I just ignore those check boxes (i.e., double-click on the correct movie or select it and click on enter), it works fine. Greying the boxes doesn't seem to do anything different. Checking them causes a duplication.

...but since that thread is from last year, I don't know if it still applies, and I don't remember that an entry was duplicated for me when fully checking the boxes, but frankly, I'm kind of afraid to try that now.  :)

Anyway, TIA, as always...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:51:01 am by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: IMDb plugin, Select Movie - several questions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 10:22:15 am »
The first issue is likely due to a change in the website. This sort of thing happens often, and requires an update to the plugin.

The second issue has not changed. The purpose of the check boxes is so more than one can be selected. So, for example, you could do a search for "Lord of the Rings," select the three parts, and all three would be downloaded. I suppose that might be handy at times, but it seems most of us don't download movies that way, so the check boxes are confusing.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:37:26 pm »
Sorry, I am too busy reinventing the main application for the version one and do not pay enough attention to the forum :-[ They really seem to have change lots of stuff on the IMDB, so I will check the plugin and will provide an update asap.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:14:30 am »
Wow, the term "reinventing" has me all tingly with anticipation for v1.0 -- can't wait!  :)

As far as I'm concerned, that issue with the plugin isn't a priority at all... although, on the other hand, it does seem like I've gotten more (other) error messages than usual with the IMDb plugin lately, so perhaps it could benefit from a tune-up.

Thanks, nostra -- for all your hard work on PVD -- I so appreciate having this program... and for free, too! I'm going to go right now to the old forum for my old movie database program, Movie Library (by the now-defunct Wen Software), and post a message to tell everyone about PVD.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 04:54:49 pm »
Thanks, nostra -- for all your hard work on PVD -- I so appreciate having this program... and for free, too! I'm going to go right now to the old forum for my old movie database program, Movie Library (by the now-defunct Wen Software), and post a message to tell everyone about PVD.

Great. I am looking forward for some new users :)
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!