Author Topic: New version? [1.0.0 to be released in 2011]  (Read 35376 times)

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
New version? [1.0.0 to be released in 2011]
« on: September 10, 2010, 12:23:22 pm »
OK I am going to be politically incorrect, rude and pushy, and ask the question that I am sure a lot of people here have in mind.........

When can we expect a new version from Nostra?

I know I shouldn't ask this, considering PVD is free for all of us (thank u thank u thank u), but I just can't resist!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:34:28 pm by rick.ca »

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Re: New version?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 02:41:10 pm »

OK I am going to be politically incorrect, rude and pushy, and ask the question that I am sure a lot of people here have in mind......... When can we expect a new version from Nostra?
I know I shouldn't ask this, considering PVD is free for all of us (thank u thank u thank u), but I just can't resist!

Forum header says version 1 is in development which is a recent addition. Nostra has said the same also. So you already have your answer.

I suspect the real answer you wanted is when. I the past the answer has always been when it is ready. However as version 1 is a major upgrade it is likely to be a longer gap in time than recent minor version upgrades. So I suppose the answer is a long time yet as it was between 0.98 and 0.99

Edit:
Sorry deazo I should have read your post more closely.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:46:23 pm by patch »

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 03:22:18 pm »
I suspect the real answer you wanted is when

That's actually the only question I have asked...

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 06:13:59 pm »
I wanted to be ready with version 1 just before new year, but while I am working I get more ideas and more stuff to do, so it is unlikely to happen so soon. I hope to provide a "Technology Preview" version in 2-3 months.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 06:48:21 pm »
Well, that's further off than many might have guessed, so I'll offer my workaround: Stop waiting! I'm serious. The pain of waiting is self-inflicted. It's a direct cause an expectation or projection—simple thoughts that have nothing to do with our reality. The classic example is the pain many suffer "waiting" in a lineup. Don't wait. Be. Being in the lineup is absolutely no different than being anywhere else. Use the time to think of a way to improve your movie database, or how to make the cashier smile. Works for me. 8)

Nostra, if it helps at all, I withdraw my requests for Holo View and the automatic popcorn maker. ;)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 10:13:57 pm »
Nostra, if it helps at all, I withdraw my requests for Holo View and the automatic popcorn maker. Wink

Yeah, it helps a little bit :)

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:34:02 am »

OK thanks Nostra, now I know I should get back to just enjoying life and pvd just as it is!  :P

Offline MilesAhead

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 06:48:27 am »

Nostra, if it helps at all, I withdraw my requests for Holo View and the automatic popcorn maker. ;)

Hmmmmm, a gizmo to churn out home-made potato chips would be better. I hate those little semi-spherical popcorn thingies getting stuck on my tongue. :)
"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:41:57 am »
Hmmmmm, a gizmo to churn out home-made potato chips would be better. I hate those little semi-spherical popcorn thingies getting stuck on my tongue.

The algorithm to determine the best time to serve the snack (based on time of day, movie length, genre and stomach-upsetting content) is the easy part. In both cases, the analysis of the audio stream to determine when the popcorn can be popped or the crunchy chips consumed—without disrupting the audibility of the movie—is more challenging. I suppose we'll just have to be satisfied collecting movies, and put-off actually watching them until these essential features are added to version 2. :'(

Offline MilesAhead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 12:28:10 am »
Hmmmmm, a gizmo to churn out home-made potato chips would be better. I hate those little semi-spherical popcorn thingies getting stuck on my tongue.

The algorithm to determine the best time to serve the snack (based on time of day, movie length, genre and stomach-upsetting content) is the easy part. In both cases, the analysis of the audio stream to determine when the popcorn can be popped or the crunchy chips consumed—without disrupting the audibility of the movie—is more challenging. I suppose we'll just have to be satisfied collecting movies, and put-off actually watching them until these essential features are added to version 2. :'(

You mean we're supposed to watch 'em? I thought just collecting was the whole point.
"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 02:02:27 am »
You mean we're supposed to watch 'em? I thought just collecting was the whole point.

It is. But we have to watch some to give ourselves more things to keep track of—like dates viewed and ratings. Besides, watching the movies doesn't hurt them. It's not the same as a stamp collector using a rare stamp to mail a letter. ;D

Offline korbenPL

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 12:31:47 pm »
Just popped by to as the same Q.

So how bout this: when can we expect v 9.2.2? if at all

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 01:22:21 pm »
So how bout this: when can we expect v 9.2.2? if at all

The next version will be 1.0.0.0

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 01:25:24 pm »

Sounds good.

Offline korbenPL

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 01:46:21 pm »
Now that it's clear as the sun I got a humble suggestion - sticky the thread to avoid incoming queries which are bound to pop up,

thanks

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 06:10:20 pm »
I hope to provide a "Technology Preview" version in 2-3 months.

This doesn't give us much time to assemble the crack team of beta testers that will be needed. :o

A new Help board (a help/wiki/forum-like thing) will be unveiled very soon. That will provide a place for interested users to practise their beta testing skills. With that in place, the beta team will be able to update the documentation as the beta is being tested and refined.

Thoroughly testing is a prerequisite for effectively documenting how the software works. So those contributing to the beta testing effort will also be best qualified to create and update the documentation. We hope this approach will make things easier for them to do so.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New version? [1.0.0 to be released in 2011]
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 11:12:25 pm »
This doesn't give us much time to assemble the crack team of beta testers that will be needed. Shocked

I will release a version for testing as soon as there is smth to work productively there. 2-3 months is an approximation and not some kind of definite deadline. I just do not want to prepare special versions with some stuff commented and such as still in development for beta testing...

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 11:57:46 pm »
2-3 months is an approximation and not some kind of definite deadline.

I understand. That's why I added the "to be released in 2011." Now you have 3.5 to 15.5 months. I'm sure we can handle it if you're a bit early. ;D

BTW, since we're being so patient and generous, I think the user group will want to invoke that clause in your contract that says we get to add another feature for each month in 2011 that passes—until final release. ;)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 12:14:16 am »
I think the user group will want to invoke that clause in your contract that says we get to add another feature for each month in 2011 that passes—until final release.

We could do this, yes, but then I would need to move the current TODO list (which is enough for a decade  :o) to 2012  :D

Offline korbenPL

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 10:03:56 am »
Do we have a tentative date? the month?

anything