Author Topic: [SOLVED] French movie titles  (Read 5350 times)

Offline KJPVDB

• View Profile
[SOLVED] French movie titles
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:28 pm »
Hi, I was trying to add the L' prefix to the ignore-list for alphabetising the movie titles (as in: L'Appartement, L'Empire de Loups, etcetera. But it doesn't have an effect. Does anyone have a workaround, for instance using asci code or something?

(Of course, one obvious way is to just write the title as Appartement, L')
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:36:36 am by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: French movie titles
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:13:59 pm »
It seems, unfortunately, prefixes can only be recognized if they are separated from the rest of the title by a space. So, yes, you would have to move it to the end. But if you have set that as your preference for title formatting, it would be easier just to add the space.

I'm sure you've already figured this out, but just to be clear... The title formatting feature is not a method of specifying what prefixes are to be ignored for sorting purposes (but otherwise remain in the title). That's what some might expect, having seen the behaviour in other applications. This feature actually changes the title to the form specified. Records are always sorted according to the title—as it is recorded.

After struggling with this for a time, I got fed up and embraced the option of removing all prefixes. For the most part, that works well and avoids the issue. But the result still bothers me for many one-word (with the prefix removed) titles. "Haine" (or Hate) and "Boot" (or Boat) are just not the same as their proper titles. And these examples raise another tricky problem. Even as a unilingual anglophone, I know these titles as "La Haine" and "Das Boot." So "Hate" and "Boat" seem twice removed from what my brain wants to call them.  :-\

buah

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:50:14 pm »
Once I was removing prefixes also, even "The" from English titles, but finally I realized that it only got me to troubles (updating records within applications that don't use URLs, but titles, for example). And, what to remove if a movie titled "The The" would be shot about famous band? ;D

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 05:27:02 pm »
I used this feature for a while, but it caused me grief when the prefix was an actually word in multiple languages.

"Die" in German for example, made a mess of "Die another day".  It's a feature you have to watch very carefully.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:57:45 pm »
I used this feature for a while, but it caused me grief when the prefix was an actually word in multiple languages.

The list is configurable. I think the average English user would be happy to have "The" and "A" removed from hundreds of titles, and handle the odd German title beginning with "Die" manually. Especially when "Ein," "Der" and "Das" don't pose the same problem. I suspect the bigger issue is stripping these prefixes is much more likely to change the meaning of German titles. Hmmm. Maybe that explains my discomfort with removing "Das" from "Das Boot"...

There. "Der" and "Das" are gone from my list ("Die" was removed long ago) and now "Das Boot" is "Das Boot." I can finally sleep at night. ;)

Offline KJPVDB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 11:54:21 am »
Hey, great tip, about the space. I can live with that :-) Thanks. And nice to have finally found people caring about the really important things in life too ;D

anything