Author Topic: "Read only" for IMDB / OFDB rating in "View mode"  (Read 7792 times)

Offline wms

• View Profile
"Read only" for IMDB / OFDB rating in "View mode"
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:18 am »
Hi all,

first of all, thanks (again? :-) ) for this great program!!

I think the “Allow editing rating in view mode” (Preferences → Misc) is a very useful option, but needs a little improvement. It would be nice if the web-ratings (IMDB, OFDB) stay read only and only the own rating will be editable. So it's impossible to accidentally change the original rating.

For some cosmetic purpose it would be nice to hide for example the IMDB rating, if its not yet imported.

Thanks in advance
wms

buah

Re: "Read only" for IMDB / OFDB rating in "View mode"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:58:04 am »
I agree with you wms that it would be nice to disable modifying any ratings than personal in View mode. I wanted to suggest it so many times, but for me there was always something more important to discuss...
Hiding non-filled IMDb rating seems not so good to me. It could help me to remind me to import it (some kind of visual reminder).

Offline wms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:09:35 am »
...Hiding non-filled IMDb rating seems not so good to me. It could help me to remind me to import it (some kind of visual reminder).

Nice to know I’m not alone with this wish ;).
A #workaround# would be “View → Plain view” and “View → Sort by → IMDB rating”.
On top (or bottom) you'll find the missing ratings.

buah

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:20:11 am »
Of course. I wouldn' call it as "workaround", because it's regular way to do it. Still, I'm against it with the same explanation, and another one would be that it could change appereance of the skins...

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:27:24 pm »
It would be nice if the web-ratings (IMDB, OFDB) stay read only and only the own rating will be editable.

I think everyone would agree it would be preferable if IMDb rating was not editable. But Additional rating and custom rating fields could be used for anything—so it would not be appropriate to restrict them. Perhaps this is something best controlled by a skin parameter. I don't know if it's feasible, but it would be nice to be able to make any field editable by changing a parameter in the skin. On the other hand, if we had...

An "edit bar" would also be a welcome alternative for editing just one field in one record. It would be significantly easier to use in many cases than the present method of putting the whole record in edit mode and then scrolling to the field. I have long wished for the ability to put one field at a time into an in-place edit mode (invoked from the context menu), but I think an edit bar would be a more practical, unified solution.

...that would be a efficient way to do any simple single-field edit. So if feature existed—and I imagine nostra has something planned for version 1.0—it would make sense to otherwise restrict view mode editing of ratings to the user rating.

Note that the "edit bar" concept is a replacement for the existing Multiple Movie Editor, as well as a quick single-edit edit tool. So it would be possible, for example, to select a bunch of movies that you want to assign the same rating to, and do so using the edit bar. 8)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:33:44 pm »
The "Quick Edit Bar" is definitely coming in version 1.

The idea of making some ratings editable and some not, does not seem too good for me. If I do smth like this, it will probably be a skin attribute.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:32:54 pm by nostra »
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

buah

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:42:37 pm »

The idea of making some ratings editable and some not, does not seem too good for me. If I do smth like this it will probably a skin attribute.

Great. Skin attribute will be totally ok.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 06:12:01 pm »

YES! :)