Author Topic: [SOLVED] Any way to disable plugins?  (Read 9312 times)

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Any way to disable plugins?
« on: September 23, 2010, 02:01:11 pm »
hello
i found this good program and i hope to use it to replace extreme movie manager9 a good app but commercial closed source and not easy to use)

i have this problems

1. how can i disable some plugins .not delete them just disable them,cause i use less that half of them.
like , i use only english plugins and there are a lot of russian pluings( which i suspect is this program creator language)that i don't use at all. if there is no way to disable them is there any way to delete them?

2.i configure imdb plugin for movie info to get aka search result and it stay s that way but when i do the same to imdb plug-in for polple info both imdb plugins setting get reseted to default.(maybe a conflict of names for these plugin settings?)

3. what is the deal with selecting boxes modes. i mean they have 3 mode :empty ,filled with green color, a tick. what is the difference?( maybe update or rewrite but which one  is which)

4. when i use one plugin to get info for a movie (say imdb plugin) and then use another one to get more info for the same movie it rewrites the info( i think because i see more info like a longer description of movie but not not a trace of imdb description).should create and use batch mode plugins to get all of info from both   sources? or can i use the update/rewrite mode of selection boxes for doing this( this is after i get to know how in answer to my last 3rd question.)

5. what is the "merge filmography option in plugins page of preferences?is it for my 4th question?

a somewhat detailed answer would be very appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:37:19 am by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: any way to disable plugins?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:36:00 pm »
Welcome, rd.

1. Disable plugins by removing them from the Plugin folder or changing their extension (e.g., from .dll to .xxx).

2. Yes, it's a bit confusing, but there is only one "IMDb Configuration." Change one, it changes the other.

3. Tick = overwrite, filled = add if empty, empty = do not add.

4. Yes, you'll find batch imports useful for updating one or a few movies at a time. Set the overwrite settings of the second plugin not to overwrite data you want to keep from the first (use any combination of overwrite settings for each field).

5. The Merge filmography option causes credits to be added to movies when the People records (and their filmographies) are updated. You don't want to do this if using the "actors from main page only" option to restrict the number of actor credits to 15 (recommended to prevent a huge number of minor actors from being added to the database).

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:00:10 pm »
first of all thank you for fast answer

some more detail plz for these?

1.are you gonna add an option in plugin manager to disable plugin so that i don't lose them all completely and be able to disable them temporary?

3.wish there was a mode to add data from various sources to different fields .like this
field 1:plot according to imdb
filed 2: plot  according to modidb(or some other site)
and then user could mix them in a third field.
i know this is not implemented but its just a suggestion so that users could get more data about a movie without having to find the best source manually and by trial.

4.explained in 3rd question of this post.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:58:26 pm »
1. That would be up to nostra, but I don't think it's necessary. If I use a plugin only occasionally, I leave it installed—it's not hurting anything. If I'm unlikely to ever use it, I disable it—it only takes a minute to re-enable it, should I ever need it.

3. You can maintain similar data from multiple sources by adding custom fields for the additional data. I don't understand what you mean by "mix them in a third field" or why this would be necessary. I don't think it's a good idea, but if you mean concatenating two fields for display purposes, this would be skin function (this has been suggested before).

4. So, you have three overwrite options plus the option of having both/all.

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:29:55 pm »
1. yes that is correct , but its just a suggestion . cause when i check for updates it shows my deleted plugins as new ones and i have to check all the list to see if anything actually new is added

3. i meant that i want to have at least separate fields for different sources of info so that they don't overwrite each other. you seem to get my meaning and saying i have to write different field for different sources.
now my questions is how to do that ?should learn some new programing language or if not and its just adding some text to scripts files (or actor movies or some other setting files) can you tell me more specifically cause i cant find that in forum.( btw it would be nice to have a more complete help for  this app)

and does that make the info screen messy?i mean if i learn to that do then when i don't add info from a source what is shown in its lace in info screen of movie?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 12:39:51 am »
1. yes that is correct , but its just a suggestion . cause when i check for updates it shows my deleted plugins as new ones and i have to check all the list to see if anything actually new is added

I will not add such a feature in a near future. Just right click the unwanted updates and select "Ignore"

3. i meant that i want to have at least separate fields for different sources of info so that they don't overwrite each other. you seem to get my meaning and saying i have to write different field for different sources.
now my questions is how to do that ?should learn some new programing language or if not and its just adding some text to scripts files (or actor movies or some other setting files) can you tell me more specifically cause i cant find that in forum.( btw it would be nice to have a more complete help for  this app)

and does that make the info screen messy?i mean if i learn to that do then when i don't add info from a source what is shown in its lace in info screen of movie?

You can add any number of custom fields of different types (for plot is Memo the needed type) in Tools -> Preferences -> Movies -> Custom items
The set up the plugins to download data into those custom fields. The UI will not get messy as all fields are automatically hidden if not filled in view mode.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 12:45:38 am »
1. In the update dialog, add unwanted items to the Ignore list.

3. Add custom fields at Preferences>Movies>Custom items. It's possible to direct a Description downloaded by a plugin to any other memo field using the setting immediately after the field overwrite settings at Preferences>Plugins. Otherwise, my comments assume the second source to be a script. A script can simply be edited to change the standard field data is saved in to the desired custom field. See my AllMovie+ script, for example.

and does that make the info screen messy?

There is a special section in the default skin that displays custom fields. It will appear below the information you see now. Depending on what custom fields you're using, you might consider that "messy" because all those fields are together—and not where they might more logically be placed. The solution to that is to modify the skin so it defines exactly where each of your custom fields are to appear. Fields (custom or standard) can be configured (in the skin) to not appear unless there is data. For an example of a custom skin, see my Theatre View skin.

it would be nice to have a more complete help

A new help documentation forum will be unveiled soon. In the meantime, there are a number of choices for help...

• the Wiki;
  • the Help Index is somewhat of a mess, but it will direct you to some helpful topics;
  • the forum Search is excellent, and should be an effective means to find answers to specific questions.

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:55:48 am »
thank you both for your  answers

i wanted to try th method mentioned to save for example imdb plot and allmovie plot to 2 different fields and i think i got it in plugin page of plugins but i noticed something else.for saving data to custom fields i only have the option of saving the description of movie in custom fields .what i mean is i cant save ,say,cast of movie according to different sources in different fields.

again thanks for answers.
btw i didn't see that ignore command at first cause i didn't know i could right clock them.thank you.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 09:02:30 pm »
for saving data to custom fields i only have the option of saving the description of movie in custom fields

For a plugin, yes. That is by design. Plugins save data only to standard fields. For the most part, the meaning of each standard field is clear enough it should be the same regardless of the source. So what most users want to do, for example, is record Genre from the best source—or either source that has it—not Genre–Source1 and Genre–Source2. Description, on the other hand, will vary considerably between sources, so the program offers a way to save them separately.

Many sites will have data completely different from the standard fields provided. This data may be retrieved using a script and saved in custom fields. So, if for some reason you wanted to record something like Genre–Source2, that is how you would do it.

i cant save, say, cast of movie according to different sources in different fields.

Maybe you just picked a poor example, but credits and awards data are things you should not attempt to get from more than one source. This will dramatically increase the likelihood of error in recording the relationships between people and awards and movies. You may still, however, save such data from a secondary source in a separate custom field using a script. For example, I record the AllMovie "Production Credits" page in a memo field—just in case I have some question about the data from IMDb.