Author Topic: [SOLVED] big picture for movies and people?  (Read 18989 times)

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
[SOLVED] big picture for movies and people?
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:33:41 pm »
is there anyway to get the big picture of actors from imdb for their profiles?
what i mean is i get a picture for say this actress  but its with low resolution in pvd because it gets it from that said page ,but if i click on the picture in Firefox it takes me to its original resolution and its much better and i am actually able to see the person face :).
is there anyway to configure imdb plugin to get that original high resolution pic?
is it because pvd doesnt get pictures bigger than a limit?

and sometimes it doesn't get the picture of actor at all like this person http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001721/ that play in tv series 'big love' and in the info page of the actress i click get info from imdb but it download no image.
i check the imdb plugin for people info and there download image is unchecked but for the life of me i cant get it to be check and next time i visit config page its unchecked again . plz separate imdb config for movie and for people so this gets fixed.and when its unchecked(which is always) i still get picture of some people but not all of actors.

in firefox i have greasmonkey and with just a script i hover the mouse over the picture and it show the big picture so its not any heavy programming and i may even be able to do it my self (if there was a good scripting manuals with examples for pvd and if imdb plugin was not a dll but a text file,btw why dll?)

thanks for a great app again :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:53:51 pm by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: big picture for movies and people?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:45:00 pm »
This has been discussed in the past, and it must be on nostra's list...

What I can do pretty fast and I will is improving the plugin to get full size images (I mean full size versions of the thumbnails).

I think I can improve the plugin in the next version

...but he hasn't got around to it yet.

Of greater urgency now is the plugin doesn't work due to the IMDb redesign. Maybe he'll change the image part when he fixes that. :-\

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:21:56 am »
The process is slow and cumbersome, but it can be done.  Here's an IMDB script for people images.  Processing options are hard-coded at the beginning of the script file. 

WHY YOU PROBABLY WON'T BOTHER

If you set silent mode in the script and in PVD you'll get one image (maybe a group shot, poster, thumbnail or anything else you don't want).

If you select images manually from the script's selection list you'll be loading images into the new year.  It's a slow thing to select a single 'best' image from 800 when the selection list is 20 items and takes ~ 1 second to display a single thumbnail.

When you're "done" processing IMDB you'll have less than 20% of the people in your database covered.  Since a script cannot process a list of people (created, say, from a site index), you'll have to run a script for every site and person combination.  That's a lot of internet connections.  I have a list of 240 sites and 70,000 people in my database.  @ 50 - 100k per page, that's a lot of bandwidth and time.

Once you're processing other sites, you'll find that typos, language variations (ie. umlauts), alternate names (akas) and people with common names will make matching images to your database a hit and miss enterprise.

If you have a favorite actor / actress, choosing multiple PERSON images via a script IS NOT POSSIBLE.  Been there, done that.

AN EASIER WAY

Write an export template that creates MKDIR commands...one directory per person (probably include the IMDB ID in the directory name).  This saves you from naming your image files.

Open your file manager and drag images from whatever web page you're on, into the image directories.  Yes, you can drag and drop from web pages...maybe someday even directly into PVD.

Use the load an image option from your skin, and use the "no image" filter to limit the people list to those you don't have images for.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:51:47 am »
The process is slow and cumbersome, but it can be done...

you mistook my question
i asked if that 'one' picture of actor can be saved full size not thumbnail.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:00:46 am by rick.ca »

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:53:31 am »
still no answer why i dont get any picture for some actors(that have pictures in their imdb page)

and if i delete the person's pic i cant get it again with 'get people 'script
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:58:45 am by rd1381 »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 01:04:44 am »
you mistook my question

I already answered your question. mgpw4me was just offering you an alternative.

still no answer why i dont get any picture for some actors

As I said, the plugin is no longer working due to the IMDb redesign.

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 01:06:41 am »
you mistook my question

I don't think so.  

The IMDB plug-in doesn't do it and there are more important things for Nostra to do at the moment.  

You can either run a script or you can collect manually.  I've provided both methodologies.

If you use the script in silent mode, as mentioned, you'll get a large image for any / all selected people, assuming IMDB has one.  If you write a batch file, I think you can invoke the plug-in and then run the script so you won't have to process people twice.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:30:36 am »
Stay calm :) I was away for a couple of days, so the work on the people plugin stopped. Now I am back and will provide a fixed plugin in a day or two.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:20:12 pm »
Stay calm :) I was away for a couple of days, so the work on the people plugin stopped. Now I am back and will provide a fixed plugin in a day or two.

thanks for your work

anyway id there a posibility thatplugins become text file instead of dll so that ,say , i can update them (edit them) to fix changes in websites? or is it  aan integral part of app?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:39:10 pm »
Plugins are not going to be rewritten as scripts, but you're welcome to create any script you please. That's the purpose of the scripting engine—to provide interested users the ability to get their own information.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 12:31:58 am »
It is easier for me to work with plugins than scripts and converting plugins to scripts is a kind of work I do not really want to do. I have no problem with providing the sources of the plugins thou, if you want them (but the main app stays mine forever :))

By the way: try the plugin version 0.3.0.0 ;)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 12:47:42 am »
Maybe you should post the source. Then when the plugin fails, you can sit back and relax until we tell you what's wrong with it. ;D

buah

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 06:30:09 am »
I'm not for publishing the source. We would get a lot of variations of the same plug-in and users could be confused which one to use. I see a lot of re-importings IMDb data, a lot of suggestions, a lot of "issues". All in all, I think it wouldn't be good for a PVD image.

But, maybe I'm wrong, too...

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 06:54:31 am »
I think what nostra meant is he wouldn't mind providing the source if someone would like to use it as a guide for writing a script. Such a script, even if initially it only got the same information as the plugin, could easily be modified to get additional information. We would then have a solution for those who want an obscure bit of data from IMDb that no one else is interested in—modify the script.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 11:00:27 pm »
Maybe you should post the source. Then when the plugin fails, you can sit back and relax until we tell you what's wrong with it. Grin

Yeah, I wish it could be true, but unfortunately I predict lots of additional questions and writing a plugin manual in this case :/

I'm not for publishing the source. We would get a lot of variations of the same plug-in and users could be confused which one to use. I see a lot of re-importings IMDb data, a lot of suggestions, a lot of "issues". All in all, I think it wouldn't be good for a PVD image.

No, no it is just if someone wants to make some changes for himself...

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 01:37:01 pm »
i just want to ask about new version of imdb plugin.
i used it for getting people info. this version downloads all the films that the actors played.i thought it was a option from preferences page but it just does get filmography of all movies not just ones i have added and its not good.i have notices this happens when chose 'overwrite' from imdb plugins for all fields.

and two other thing :
i have a slow Internet connections so when i chose a number of item and use scripts on them it takes a lot of time and some time i just want to cancel it .is there anyway to do that without closing pvd,cause that may corrupt the db ?
and if there is  new version developing going on(version 1) and needs testing (not code but just testing of app) count me in :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 01:43:29 pm by rd1381 »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 04:24:45 pm »
.i have notices this happens when chose 'overwrite' from imdb plugins for all fields.

So just, set it to "fill if empty"...

i have a slow Internet connections so when i chose a number of item and use scripts on them it takes a lot of time and some time i just want to cancel it

There is a Cancel button on the bottom of the window (it does wait for the current page to download thou).

if there is  new version developing going on(version 1)

Of course, there is one

needs testing (not code but just testing of app) count me in Smiley

OK

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 04:10:15 pm »

So just, set it to "fill if empty"...

thats not good cause i need that to get pictures of people i added before new imdb plugin and anyway that not a solution thats wiping the problem.

i want to be able to update data of people and movies when i select the 'get info from ...' .i i don't select the overwrite option i cant update them(naturally) but when i select overwrite option i adds the complete list of movis for actor to actor page. this a bug and it happens after upgrade of imdb plugins so its a bug in them.
can you plz fixed that cause not overwriting in not an option. like for example i get info for a movie and then i want to have the pictures of people in that movie but i don't want to have their all works and fimography.especially when clicking on one create a movie entry in database .maybe if there was a visual difference for showing the actor movie in database and actor movies not in database.and clicking the later wouldn't create record unless you right clicked or something still getting the whole filmography is a bug ?( at least for me)and has no meaning for overwriting option to do so.i need to be ableto see if an actor is alive or dead :) with out getting the whole movie set in the databse.

btw i clicked and selected to show movies by alphabet groups ,how can i undo that? so that it becomes as it ws before?(no grouping)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:23:03 pm by rd1381 »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 10:03:21 pm »
I don't think there are any bugs here. I suggest you read the new Help documentation, in particular, Database Design. That topic will provide an overview of how movie/people relations are handled. Unfortunately, it doesn't yet include explicit instruction on how to configure the program for different situations.

thats not good cause i need that to get pictures of people i added before...

Set Photo to overwrite or "add if empty," as you prefer. But also make sure Download image is selected in the plugin configuration, or you won't get anything.

when i select overwrite option i adds the complete list of movis for actor to actor page.

No, it won't do this unless Filmography is selected.

i want to be able to update data of people and movies when i select the 'get info from ...'

This is not going to happen. It would be too time consuming. By design, you're to download movie information first. Then select the people you want to update, and run the people information plugin.

when clicking on one create a movie entry in database .maybe if there was a visual difference for showing the actor movie in database and actor movies not in database.and clicking the later wouldn't create record unless you right clicked or something

As mentioned above, filmography information will only be downloaded if the plugin is configured to do so. Otherwise, filmographies will only show the movies in the database. But just to clarify...If other movies are added by downloading, they are distinguished by link colour, and the click behaviour is configurable, as explained here.

i clicked and selected to show movies by alphabet groups ,how can i undo that?

Use the View menu.

i have a slow Internet connections so when i chose a number of item and use scripts on them it takes a lot of time...

Another reason for carefully considering your database design. There are various ways to restrict the number of records added to a database. They're best considered in the following order:

• Select Except actors (from the main page only) in the plugin configuration. This will limit the credits added to a maximum of 15 (that appear in the IMDb main page). Most users will prefer this, as the number of credits can otherwise be very large.

• When downloading people information, exclude filmography data—as discussed above. This will certainly reduce the number of invisible movie records that the database has to maintain. But it's also a lot of information to do without. Having it probably doesn't affect the performance of the database unless the computer is very slow. And more to the point, it has no impact on download time—because the filmography data is downloaded anyway. The only thing likely to have any noticeable affect on download time will be getting larger images—once that is implemented.

• Do not select Show people added from movie credits. The people will still be recorded, but if they're not visible in People View, you're not going to waste time updating them. This does mean you'll get no information or photos for anyone. However, when a link is used, the selected person will appear in People View and can then be updated "on demand." If that's not practical, you could display invisible records in People View (using Filters>Advanced), select the people you're interested in, set them Always visible, and then update all visible records. Or click a link, run the plugin, return to Movie View, click the next link, etc. If you just want to add the people you're interested in (say, 3 or 4 top credited actors per movie), and your connection is not too slow, that would be an effective way to update.

Offline rd1381

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 12:53:47 am »
thank you
a complete answer

i figured out the filmography part myself. sorry that i said it was a bug.i didnt understand the way pvd handled actors info .now i think i get it.

another suggestion :
when pvd gets a series info it  creates episodes entries .but it leaves them empty but they have imdb link.so why not use that link when getting info for a single episode? like the same way pvd gets actors info.
 cause right now pvd show a long list of movies with the name of episode in them not that episode.

and another thing:can i disable(remove)websearch menu from pvd?.i dont use it and it causes problems when i run pvd in linux with wine( i am sure its wine problem but still i dont need this function of pvd)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:05:06 am by rd1381 »