Author Topic: Movie titles missing from PVD screen  (Read 7028 times)

Offline Gwandad

• View Profile
Movie titles missing from PVD screen
« on: September 27, 2010, 11:23:32 pm »
G'day, I hope this is not a silly question, but I am confused by the fact that movies seem to go missing from the PVD screen, but are still in the database. I have not fiddled with any filters yet, as I am totally new to this. I really love the program & have friends starting to use it, however, a couple of times I have looked up the screen for a movie I know I have & its not there. If I double click it in the database, it opens a new PVD screen with the "missing" movie there. Am I doing something wrong (or silly)? Regards, Gwandad
I forgot to add, my PVD screen shows 286 movies listed, but my database has 362, so I am curious to know where the other 76 have gone?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:30:22 pm by rick.ca »

buah

Re: Movie titles missing from PVD screen
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:54:00 pm »
Hi Gwandad,

Maybe you (accidentally) applied some of the Filters

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »
Welcome, Gwandad.

To make sure filters are not causing this, select Filters>Reset filters. Also, make sure there is no search active. If there is, there will be a clear button to the right of the search box. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean. If you can "double-click it in the database," then obviously "it" is still there. But I have no idea what you mean by "it opens up a new PVD screen." Before you double-click, what does appear in the information panel on the right? If it's some other movie, that's probably because that movie is selected in the list, rather than the one you think is selected.

On the other hand, if you see nothing (i.e., the information panel is empty)—even though a movie is selected in the list—that might suggest a problem with the skin (although I've never such a problem). Double-clicking on an movie in the list puts the record in "edit mode." That results in all the fields being shown, whether on not they have any data. So double-clicking can result in you seeing something that wasn't there before. Try changing the skin at Preferences>Appearances>Movie information skin—just to see if that makes any difference. Also check Preferences>Movies>Visible items and make sure all fields are checked.

If I haven't tripped over your problem yet, but maybe this will help you better describe what's happening. :-\

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:08:34 am »
Maybe you (accidentally) applied some of the Filters

Now that's funny. I asked nostra to activate the Help board, but he didn't bother telling me he had done so. Now we get to see if it works! Already, I see where a revision may help... ::)

Offline Gwandad

• View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Movie titles missing from PVD screen
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:34:17 am »
Firstly, I must apologise for the long absence, but health issues ( a curse of ageing) have been a bit of a problem. Back to the problem. I have tried the suggestions, but realise I didn't explain things very well. On my PC, in a file under "My Documents" I have a folder " Personal Video Database" In this folder I have some 430 entries with a file type of .pvd. If I open (startup PVD, I get a listing of some 250 movies, not 430. If I pick a title that I know I have, but is not displayed, & double click on the entry in the PC, it causes a new opening of PVD with the "missing" entry displayed. It doesn't stay with the same file, but appears to be random. I have reinstalled PVD with no improvement. I have tried it on 2 different PCs. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, i5 680 CPU, 4gb memory.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:21:10 am »
PVD's database is saved in ONE .pvd file. The fact you seem sure you have 430 movies and 430 databases, and you're able to find a missing entry by opening "the entry in the PC," suggests you've been saving a new database using the title of each movie in the database. If that's the case, I'm not sure what to suggest. I suppose all you can do is try to find the one with the most movies (maybe by referring to the file's size and/or modification date) and start using ONLY that one. If that's not the case, can you explain where the other 429 database files came from? :-\

Offline Gwandad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 10:43:10 pm »
Yep, I win dodo of the month! That's exactly what I have been doing. I will be some time sorting it out, but thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction. Really appreciated.