Author Topic: Subsorting  (Read 6929 times)

buah

Subsorting
« on: October 02, 2010, 08:39:23 pm »
Is it possible to subsort entries by any other criteria than by title, when in tree view (grouped by genre, e.g.).

If it's not, then what do you think to add a feature to PVD - sorting by Genre, Director, etc, or a feature to be possible to subsort entries by any criteria when in tree view?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Subsorting
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 10:41:39 pm »
Is it possible to subsort entries by any other criteria than by title, when in tree view (grouped by genre, e.g.).

I'm puzzled as to why you would ask...is it not clear that sorting and grouping are independent? Less obvious is the ability to group by any number of levels (and sort the items within them by any field). That has to be set at Preferences-Movies-Tree view nodes. Then apply/remove it using View-Tree view/Plain view. Selecting anything from View-Genre will clear those settings and return it to a single level grouping.

buah

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 11:22:05 pm »
I would like to have movies subsorted by ID for example, not by title only when they are grouped by Genre...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:26:33 pm by buah »

buah

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:28:13 pm »
Oh, I got it!
First you apply grouping, then you have to apply sorting again, no matter how they were sorted before applying grouping.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 01:12:16 am »
OIC. Yes, there's something buggy going on there. Before, I was sorting by year then grouping by genre, or the reverse, and it would work fine. Same with rating and genre, I believe. Now I see it can "forget" the sort setting and apply some other sort when grouping is added or removed—while still showing the same field selected in the sort menu.

What it seems to be doing is "remembering" the sort order separately for Plain View and Tree View. So if you switch to Tree View (or apply a grouping) it will be sorted the same way it was when you last did that, rather than how is currently set for Plain View. Perhaps that's by design, but it's very confusing. Especially when the sort menu still indicates it's still sorted the way it was in the previous view. Grouping and sorting should simply be independent of one another.

buah

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 03:14:37 pm »
It really looks strange, but when I think of it maybe it's better this way, because I guess it would take much more time to group and then to subsort to the latest sorting criteria. As it is now, it looks like subsorting order is somehow "cached" rather than "remembered", which is good.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:05:15 pm »
The current behaviour only suits those who always use the same grouping/sorting combination. It's not worth the confusion it creates. Controls should work consistently. And even if this were desirable, the sort menu should properly indicate what sort has been applied.

buah

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 06:47:11 pm »
Yes, that's what causes confusing. Sorting order should be properly indicated when grouping have been applied.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 04:58:29 pm »
I'll change this behavior in version 1.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!