Author Topic: Lookup by barcode  (Read 9991 times)

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Lookup by barcode
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:25:19 pm »
Hi,

A review of PVD I found on another site pointed out a missing feature, which would be a handy thing to have in PVD.

Namely, the ability to look up movies by their package barcode (e.g. UPC) instead of by title, when adding a new movie with "New Movie Master". If done this way, the movie's record could then include only the features specific to that particular release package, e.g. bonus content, extra discs, extended versions, etc.

Any chance of adding this kind of functionality? I imagine a script or plugin could be written to import the info from the Web, if the movie's barcode field is already filled in, but I can see the advantages of importing it right from the get-go in "New Movie Master".

Aimhere

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Lookup by barcode
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:27:08 pm »
I initially planned such a feature, but there seemed to be no need in it, so I skipped it entirely. Maybe some time after version 1.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:52:10 pm »
I personally wouldn't use it, but the reviewer thought it was important. ;)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:04:39 am »
I personally wouldn't use it, but the reviewer thought it was important. ;)

Yeah, I just because many commercial products have this feature many reviewers assume that it has to be there despite the lack of user interest...
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline jguhlke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:25:33 am »
I personally would use the barcode feature from the new master. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to make it work. It would be a nice feature especially when inputting all of your movies when you first install the program. With smartphones so prevalent now almost anyone is only the right app away from having a barcode scanner hooked up to their computer. Just my 2 cents.

John

Offline doust

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 05:28:57 pm »
Yep agree it would be a useful tool, especially when there are so many versions of the same DVD (re-issues and different regions etc)

Also useful when there are so many titles with the same name, and TV DVDs which are hard to find when searching on the IMDB.

Sorry, just thought I would ad my five penny-worth :)

Offline seadog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 06:42:54 pm »
Another $0.02  , I also would like this feature ,as I use it all the time on my Iphone  movie collection App.