Author Topic: Mediaportal export plugin!  (Read 13846 times)

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Mediaportal export plugin!
« on: October 13, 2010, 08:36:35 am »

I didn't know where to post that but I just wanted to say THANKS to Nostra for his effort in developing that plugin.
 I have not tested it and won't be able to do so for a while but I can't wait!  ;D

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Mediaportal export plugin!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:34:55 pm »
You are welcome :)

Feel free to post your suggestions and questions about the plugin as you get to it.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline Vintz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:45:45 pm »
Yes, a big "Thank you!" from my side as well. For me the plugin is working nicely, though Im quite new to both PVD and MediaPortal.
But Ive got one issue. Because I couldnt figure out, how to get the "filtering by genre"-function working in MediaPortal, Im now using the StreamedMP plugin. Though this plugin comes with a movie managing feature, I enjoy using PVD much more!

Is there any opportunity to export directly to the StreamedMP DB?

Ive found one way so far by exporting the relevant data to a nfo file stored near the movie, which can then be imported by StreamedMP. If this is the only way to do it, I think I have to have a closer look into CAD's xbmc export plugin.

Best regards
Vintz

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:17:10 pm »
No, you would need another plugin to support StreamedMP, but I will not be able to provide one any time soon, sorry.
Maybe switching back to the normal MP database would be OK as PVD exports genres and even actors in a way that you can use the built in MP grouping functions (you need to have those options turned on in MediaPortal Export plugin configuration)

Offline Vintz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 11:45:09 am »
Thank you for your reply. Seems that I now have get more into the normal MP's grouping function. So far I hadn't noticed it ;)

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:51:54 pm »

Hi Nostra,

I have now upgraded my XP OS to a nice Win7 and I have installed mediaportal to it.
 As I am completely new to it, I am trying your plugin on a small "4 movies" database and I just don't know how this work.
 I get an error message when trying to save the db3 file, and to be honest I don't even know what I am supposed to do with that file when I will manage to generate it.
 I had a look at your posts on the MP forum but it did not help me.
 A short set of instructions would greatly help me.
Thanks!

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:50:00 am »
You need to select the MediaPortal database file as target. It is usually located in: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\database\VideoDatabaseV5.db3

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 07:43:22 am »

Oh OK I did not realise Win7 had a "programdata" folder, unlike XP that has "application data", so I could not find the mediaportal data file.

I have just tested on a small sample, and it look like it just flawlessly worked.
 I have now to explore mediaportal because I am worried that I will be disappointed (like I was by xbmc) by the lack of powerful searching capabilities such as the ones found on PVD.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 12:54:28 pm »
I have now to explore mediaportal because I am worried that I will be disappointed (like I was by xbmc) by the lack of powerful searching capabilities such as the ones found on PVD.

You most probably will be disappointed if you need PVD searching capabilities in MediaPortal, but it is one of the best you can get for a MediaCenter.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 12:31:45 am »
...with the notable exception of J. River Media Center. Although it's not a relational database, it's searching capabilities are generally superior and much faster than PVD's (and light years beyond what most other media managers can do).

What it can't do is import meta data from a variety of sources, provide a complete set of tools designed for that purpose, and manage the whole process the way PVD does. Fortunately, all of the video data can be automatically pulled from the PVD database, providing the best of both applications. 8)

To explain the screen shot...The form of some data has been changed by the PvdImport plugin (e.g., all credits data being imported to one nested People field), but I don't touch the data in MC. All my updates and changes in PVD are automatically updated in MC. Shown is the MC "Standard View." It also has a "Theatre View." Both are highly configurable.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 07:31:24 am »

I knew Rick was going to intervene with his beloved J River!  ;)

J River is highly tempting and I tried to use it, unfortunately the whole process has been like a trauma for me. Remember? For some completely obscure reason I could not get it to work, the firebird installation and use completely corrupted my PVD database file which became unusable without firebird running or without the use of old firebird embedded files. As a result I had to rebuild a 6000 movies database using an export/import process, and work my way through renaming 5500 images so that they could be properly re-attached to each record using ImgID. Of course I lost some (small %) data in the process.
Now I have a nice clean working PVD file but I have not fully recovered from the adventure!
Of course I know I could (should?) try again with a proper backing up of the file (saved in a gold plated external HDD) but I really don't feel like it...

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 08:27:05 am »
J River is highly tempting and I tried to use it, unfortunately the whole process has been like a trauma for me. Remember?...

Remember what? Since we never found a cause, it officially never happened. Besides, had you stuck with it, the joy of using J. River would have erased any such unhappy memories by now. ;D

Offline federer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 09:37:46 am »
J River is highly tempting and I tried to use it, unfortunately the whole process has been like a trauma for me. Remember?...

Remember what? Since we never found a cause, it officially never happened. Besides, had you stuck with it, the joy of using J. River would have erased any such unhappy memories by now. ;D

Yup it can be right in that case.